Style > Beauty

8 Things Only Curly-Haired People Will Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Curly hair is gorgeous, but as a curly-haired gal, I’ll be the first to say that it comes with certain experiences that most other people don’t have.

1. When people ask if they can borrow a brush, and you just have to laugh. Let’s be real, I haven’t bought a brush in over half a decade. 
  2. Humidity is not your friend. 
  3. There are few feelings worse than the realization that it’s raining, right after you straighten your hair. Soul-crushing stuff, really. You can kiss the last 45 minutes to an hour of your life goodbye. 
  4. Your stockpile of hair products rivals that of your hairdresser. “Here’s my shampoo, my conditioner, my leave-in conditioner, my curl cream, my hairspray, my hair masks, my heat protectant, my smoothing spray…”
  5. You take a shower and your hair doesn’t dry for approximately 10 years. 
  6. Washing your hair is a process. An event, really, that can take precedence over every other activity. 
  7. People ask to touch your hair all. The. Time. 
  8. Curly hair can be a pain in the butt sometimes, but when it looks good, it looks great. 
Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.