5 Ways to Make It Feel Like Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

Having lived in the Mid-Atlantic region my entire life and, more recently, New England for the past almost 3 years, I have personal experience with spring weather changing on a daily basis. One day, it’s 40° F and drizzling, the next, it’s 75° and sunny. This can make it difficult to believe that summer is on its way, but I’ve gathered a few tips and tricks for helping restore my faith that summer will roll around in just a few months.

Incorporate spring colors into your wardrobe. This is super simple- add some pale blue, light green, and lilac to brighten up your outfits. The weather won’t necessarily change to fit the color scheme of your clothes, but it can’t hurt, right?

Get some green in your space. We don’t all have the gift of growing, but we can all find ways to put life into our environments. Whether it’s by actually growing a plant on your windowsill or getting an air plant that doesn’t require any care, having plants (or fake plants) can make spring seem much more spring-y.

Change up your tunes. This may seem a bit weird, but try putting some fresh music on your playlists! Listen to some new songs or artists you don’t usually follow to spice up your listening experience and add fresh beats to your day-to-day routine.

Get a bright wallpaper or background for your phone or computer or tablet screen. If you’re anything like me, you’re on a device for a large chunk of time, whether it’s for school or extracurricular activities or work, and using a fun new background can be a good way to switch things up, especially if it has funky colors or a cute saying.

When you get the chance, spend some time outdoors! If the weather permits, slather on some sunblock and get outside—it’s a never-fail solution to appreciating the springtime. Vitamin D deficiency from the winter is real, so catch those rays on sunny days, but don’t forget to protect your skin while you’re at it. Sunburn, sun poisoning, and skin cancer are not good looks on anyone.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.