5 British TV Shows You Should be Watching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

I’ve decided that my TV addiction is less of an unhealthy habit and more of an enriching hobby. (I know it sounds a bit desperate, but let me have this one.) After I exhausted almost every American TV show out there, I looked across the Atlantic to our other English-speaking friends for more television options. The British have further fueled my “hobby,” because, somehow, their TV shows are even better than the ones made in the USA.

1) Peaky Blinders

This epic show centers on the historic Peaky Blinders gang, set in Birmingham, England right after War World I. The main character, Thomas Shelby, is as likeable as he is violent (and handsome). We watch him support his family through illegal activities, all the while struggling with shell shock and the heartbreak of a complicated romance. This show is full of interesting figures, action, and amazing British accents.

Photo Credit

2)   Sherlock

Benedict Cumberbatch established his place as a contemporary powerhouse actor with his portrayal of the famous detective, Sherlock Holmes, set in modern-day London. Each episode features a clever and intricate mystery, and it is incredibly entertaining to watch Sherlock (a self-proclaimed “high functioning sociopath”) use his immense brainpower and friendship with his best friend, John Watson, to solve them. 

Photo Credit

3) Call the Midwife

This show centers on post-World War II midwives who serve the destitute people of the Poplar district of London. While it may seem like an unusual concept for a TV show, I fell in love with the midwives and the nuns that they live with. They prove to be strong, emotional, and selfless people who rely on each other to help the loveable people of Poplar. 

Photo Credit

4) Grantchester

Another seemingly odd idea for a TV show, this plot centers in on local Angelican vicar who lives in the village, Grantchester, near Cambridge. Sidney Chambers is a young vicar who still is susceptible to the temptations and vices that tempt most of us. He and the local murder detective team up to make an unlikely crime-solving pair. You’ll fall in love with the charming British scenery and be enthralled with the complex mysteries. 

Photo Credit

5) Endeavour

This prequel to the famous British show, Inspector Morse, tells the story of how a young Endeavour Morse became such a successful detective. Once a student at Oxford, he chooses to use his impressive deductive skills and extensive knowledge to solve crimes. The audience learns about all of Morse’s’ iconic character quirks (for example, his intense love for opera and tendency to drink a bit too much beer) as he solves intense murders and becomes entrapped in strings of conspiracies and betrayals. 

Photo Credit

If you’re as much of a TV addict as I am, I know you’ll take my suggestions seriously. And if you’re not a TV addict, then you’re missing out on some seriously good shows. Either way, I hope you enjoy and don’t wish too strongly that you are British!!!

Jane is a senior at Bates College, majoring in English and minoring in History. Outside of class, she dances ballet and practices yoga, religiously listens to Dave Matthews Band, and is a firm believer that dark chocolate acts as a well-rounded meal.