4 Holiday Movies To Cozy Up With This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.

No matter what kind of movie you like, we found the perfect holiday movie for you! 

For our hopeless romantics: 

“Love Actually” (2003)

Looking for love? Perhaps a cuddle buddy? During this cuffing season, you may want to check out how the eight couples in “Love Actually” fall in and out of love over holiday season. Garner the courage to ask your crush on a date or get an excuse to tell your significant other that you love him/her! Why? Because, “at Christmas you tell the truth.”

For those who want to bring back childhood memories:

“Home Alone” (1990)

Let’s be honest – All of us as children have dreamed of having the house to all ourselves! Embark on a journey with the 8-year-old Kevin McCallister (Macaulay Culkin) as he, left at home accidentally by his family during the holiday season, struggles to protect his house from robbers Harry and Marv! For once, we can all forget about our 20-page papers, final exams, presentations, projects, etc. and go back to our childhood!

For our pseudo-thrill/horror enthusiasts:

“The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993)

Among all these supposedly happy, family-friendly, harm-free holiday movies, you’ll find “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” a funny, spooky stop motion animation. Watch Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloweentown, attempt to recreate his own Christmas with coffin-shaped sleds pulled by skeletal reindeers and other classic Halloween items and creatures!

For those who believe in magic and fantasy worlds:

“The Polar Express” (2004)

One of my favorite children’s books as a child was The Polar Express by Chris van Allsburg. Although I read this Christmas classic in Korean, the same delight and excitement I felt as a child exploring the wonder-filled North Pole still resonates with me. The movie adaptation brings to the screen the magic of the Christmas season as we remind ourselves of a time we believed in magic and fairytales.

Becca Carifio is a senior history major at Bates College. Obsessed with coffee, scarves, videos of cute animals and polka dots. Currently trying to convince her parents that reading comic books for her thesis on Wonder Woman during World War II is worth their tuition money.