Top 5 Places To Live After College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Live on or around a college campus is great.You’re close to classes (hopefully), dining halls are in close reach and a thriving social life awaits just outside our doors.

But what happens when we graduate? Where do we go? Where do we want to go?

Her Campus Ball State asked this question, too. We had our own dream cities in mind, but we took to some of Ball State’s students to see what they had to say. Out of 35 interviewees, these were the top 5 cities that came to soon-to-be graduate’s minds.

1. New York City

It’s an obvious one, but it’s a good one, too. Thirteen students said the Big Apple was there dream after-college city, and several others said it was a desired getaway for either gradute school or temporary living.

“No doubt, New York City,” freshman Ashley Hammond said. “There are so many opprotunities there, and I would be so incredibly happy if that’s where I could get a job.”

Other students shared similar sentiment, but hoped that New York City would be and end-goal later on down the line.

“I know I won’t go there right after I graduate, but it’s where I want to land for my real job,” sophomore Christian DeMaya said. “I want to work my way up the ladder, and that’s where the top is for me.”

2. Chicago

The Windy City is another favorite for Ball State’s future grads. Ten students said Chicago was the right fit for them, especially for those studying communications.

“It’s not New York or LA, but it’s a big city, one of the biggest in the middle of the country,” sophomore Taylor Nickson said. “I want to be a reporter, and I think [Chicago] is where I would really love to go.”

The mere four-hours drive from Ball State isn’t a deterrent, and some students said it was actually more exciting.

“I would absolutely love to love closer to Cardinal Country,” freshman Emily Adams said. “It means I could come back to football games and people who will still live around here after college that I know.”

3. Indianapolis

Weird, right? Although a good portion of Ball State’s campus hails from the “317,” nearly a third of those asked said they wouldn’t mind – and actually wanted – to go back to their hometown to live and work post-college.

“I want to live at home for a few years after graduating, I’ve decided,” senior Molly Smithers said. “Indianapolis has a lot to offer, especially for young professionals.”

Other who aren’t from the Indianapolis area said the move would keep them close to Muncie, sometimes good for post-graduate studies.

“Ball State has really good grad school programs, and for me as a speech pathology major, that makes Indianapolis seem like a good, big city to live in or near,” junior Aaron Donalds said.

4. Los Angeles

Although not the most popular city to live in after college, five students said the West Coast was where they wanted to retreat.

“It’s not so much Hollywood, but it’s the great networking I think Los Angeles has,” freshman Cody Whiton said. “I would love to be able to go to work and then afterwards be able to be by the beach and then be around a lot of people that are like me.”

Los Angeles was the only city on the West Coast to be mentioned by those we asked – it might be harder to take the Midwest out of us then we thought.

5. London

Only three students mentioned cities outside of the continental United States, but two students said London, England was where the hearts were set.

“I’ve always been obsessed with British culture and TV, and I want to try and move there after college to find a job or maybe even study,” sophomore Abigail Heart said.

Another student, freshman Haylee Michaels, said she couldn’t help but feel the same.

“Oh my gosh, if I could live in the same city as so many of my favorite celebrities – and maybe even work for them – then London is my dream city after graduating,” Michaels said.

Ball State Chapter of Her Campus
Casey Smith

Ball State