This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Don’t sit around and waste time this summer – get out and do something new and fun! Check out some of our ideas that will keep you busy below!

Visit a farmers market.

Colorful, bustling and full of local vendors, farmers markets aren’t just fun – they’re learning opportunities. At the farmers market, you can get introduced to different types of vegetables and fruits and get excited about eating healthy during the warmer months. Through meeting with local vendors, you can also learn about all the work that goes into growing and harvesting food.

Volunteer.

Great volunteer opportunities exist for young adults and families of all sizes and interests. You and your friends could deliver meals with a local charity service like Meals on Wheels or visit a nursing home to spend time, play games and work on crafts with the residents. You could play with orphaned pets at a local animal shelter or serve meals at a local food bank – the list goes on!

Go for a hike.

Hiking gives you a chance to exercise, breathe fresh air and explore the natural world around you. The secret to a successful hike is to combine exercise with fun. Look for wildlife or wildflowers, or set up a scavenger hunt for natural objects of different varieties. Be prepared to take some breaks and refuel on snacks while taking in the sights and sounds of nature.

Create a campsite in your backyard.

Dig out the tents and sleeping bags and set up a campsite in your own backyard. Don’t have a tent? You can make your own using your clothesline and sheets. You and your friends can set up the campsite together, gathering pillows, tents and supplies. Sing campfire songs and fire up the grill to sizzle up some hot dogs, burgers and veggies. At night, tell ghost stories and stargaze. Nostalgia is bliss, right?

Ball State Chapter of Her Campus
Casey Smith

Ball State