Spring Sweets List: What To Do in Muncie!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

If you’re looking to get out of your room a little bit and take some time away from studying for finals, look no further than our Spring Sweets list!

DOMA Art Exhibition programs

The David Owsley Museum of Art’s  contemporary art exhibition “1 in 3: What Does It Take for You To Be Outraged?” is still up and running in Ball State University’s Fine Arts building, 2021 W. Riverside Ave.

There are several upcoming 1:3 programs offered at the Fine Arts Building’s Recital Hall throughout April.

A play commissioned by the World Bank in conjunction with the exhibit, “Neda Wants to Die,” will be performed at 6 p.m. Friday, April 15 in the Recital Hall. A panel discussion will follow the performance, which is sponsored by the Multicultural Center.

The play is recommended for adults because of strong language. A special exhibition tour and healing touch workshop by Peggy Farrer will take place at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 23. The program is free for Friends members and Ball State students, and $5 for everyone else.

Then, the April 29 Final Friday program runs from 6-9:30 p.m. and will look at “Censorship.” Guests can register for these programs online at bsu.edu/artmuseum or call (765) 716-0861.

The free exhibition will run through May 8, and will display nearly 80 photographs, paintings, sculptures and videos created by 20 emerging artists who confront the ongoing issue of gender-based violence. DOMA is free to the public and open 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

Farmland Concert Series

The Farmland Concert Series continues this week as Eric Scott takes the stage with classic country/rock and original music on Friday, April 15, at the Farmland Community Center, 100 N. Main St., Farmland.

The fun starts with a chicken and noodle dinner at 6:30 p.m., and continues with music at 7 p.m.  Tickets are $10.

Reservations/information: (765) 468-7631.

Minnetrista Indoor Market

The next Indoor Market will take place 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, April 16 at Minnetrista, 1200 N. Minnetrista Pkwy.

Looking forward to the start of the outdoor Farmers Market season? It starts May 7.

Taste of Muncie

The 30th Annual A Taste of Muncie, “Cheers to 30 Years” will be 2-4 p.m. Sunday, April 17, at Cornerstone Center for the Arts, 520 E. Main St.

Tickets to the annual fundraiser benefiting Cornerstone’s art programs and events can be purchased online, at Cornerstone’s second floor desk from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily or by calling (765) 289-9687.

Advance tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for students with ID (Student tickets available at Cornerstone only), or $25 for adults and $20 for students at the door. Children age 5 and younger are free.

Silver Tickets are $40 and are available for those 21 and older.

A Silver Ticket event will precede the main event at 1 p.m. featuring Guardian Brewing and New Corner Brewing Co.’s two original brews each and one collaborative beer brewed exclusively for A Taste of Muncie.

For more information, visit cornerstonearts.org.

‘Night at the Opera’

Enjoy beautiful music from iconic operas during Muncie Symphony Orchestra’s Night at the Opera at 7:30 p.m. April 23 at Emens Auditorium, 1800 W. Riverside Ave.

Tickets can be purchased by calling the Emens Box Office at (765) 285-1539.

The show will feature select excerpts from iconic operas including “Carmen” and “The Barber of Seville,” with special performances by Ball State University Choirs, Masterworks Chorale, Youth Symphony of East Central Indiana, Elizabeth Truitt, Kelci Dalayne, Kathleen Maurer, Hong Teak Lim, John Truitt and Craig Priebe.

BSU Choirs and Masterworks Chorale will perform under the direction of Andrew Crow and Youth Symphony of East Central Indiana will perform under the direction of Michael Lund Zeigler.

Visit munciesymphony.org for more information.