A Powerful Story of Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Shane Crone visited Ball State’s Pruis Hall to share a powerful story of love.

In 2012, Crone created an emotional YouTube video that told the story of how he lost his partner Tom Bridegroom in an accident the previous year. Because same-sex marriage was not legal yet, Crone had no legal rights regarding Tom — even though they owned a house and business together.

“It was absolutely devestating,” Crone said. “And there was nothing I could do.”

Inspired by the viral video and funded by numerous supporters of the Kickstarter, Bridegroom is a feature-length film about an unwed gay couple. Although heartwrenching to many, tt’s story of love and death features Crone’s life after his partner, Tom, dies. Students were able to view the documetary in Pruis as a part of the presentation.

“I want to share this story – our story – because it’s not the only one out there like it,” Crone said. “Love is extemly powerful, and I’m humbled that I’m able to share it with everyone here.”

In addition to the documentary, Crone is an LGBT activist who travels to campaign for LGBT rights.