This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

World News- London Police’s Treatment of Women at a Vigil Prompted Fury. Campaigners Say a Reckoning Is Overdue, Time 

Sarah Everard’s death has sparked a movement across the globe, the demand to end violence against women ever-growing. In order to honor Everard’s life, many gathered in South London at the bandstand in Clapham Common to hold a vigil. However, the police have drawn criticism from throughout the country after they broke up the gathering and used unnecessary violence at an event for a woman who was killed by a police officer. From the Black Lives Matter protests over the summer to this, it is clear that police forces have work to do to ensure that they are actually protecting and serving the citizens they are supposed to be.   

National News- Senate Confirms Deb Haaland as Biden’s Interior Secretary in Historic Vote, CNN 

In a historic move, the US Senate confirmed Deb Haaland as President Joe Biden’s Interior Secretary, making her the first Native American Cabinet secretary. While the vote fell mainly along party lines, that doesn’t mitigate the importance of this appointment for our country as a whole. Haaland joins an incredibly diverse cabinet, Biden having thus far fulfilled his promise to make his advisors reflective of the nation he is serving. I look forward to seeing what these new voices will have to say over the next four years.   

Local News- Your Guide to ‘Swish,’ the Outdoor Music, Murals and More Celebration During March Madness, IndyStar   

After a year of the arts falling to the wayside, sports and culture come together in Indy through the lively festival “Swish.” “Swish” will feature music, dance, murals, and art that celebrate the community in a safe and Covid-friendly manner. It began this past Saturday and will continue through April 5 with free events for the duration of its run. As the weather begins to warm up, consider a trip to Indianapolis for some food and good-natured festival fun.

Monet Lindstrand is the Ball State Her Campus chapter's Senior Editor! She is a Political Science and Women and Gender Studies double major with minors in French and Campaign Communications. Outside of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of the Student Government Association, President of the Panhellenic Association, and Director of Alumnae Relations for the Zeta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta. Monet is a vegetarian and has a passion for women’s rights and politics!
Ball State Chapter of Her Campus