This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

World News- How a Climate Change Activist’s Arrest for Sedition Is an Escalation of India’s Crackdown on Dissent, Time 

To the international community, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s government appears to be squashing all open resistance to the leadership, with the latest being the arrest of Disha Ravi. Ravi is a climate activist who has been charged with providing resources that support farmer’s protests in the country. However, the issue goes beyond just Ravi and demonstrates the government’s attempt to scare off a potential revolution in India. This will be an important development to follow as other countries begin to respond to Modi’s decisions and crackdown. 

National News- Texas Blackouts Hit Minority Neighborhoods Especially Hard, The New York Times

For many families, harsh winter weather usually means cranking up the heat and the exciting possibility of school cancelation. But for the poorest areas across America, including many cities within Texas, the snow and inclement weather has led to power outages that have left individuals vulnerable to the cold. For minority neighborhoods, this poses the potential to disrupt the already unstable life that many lead, as energy costs rise alongside unemployment. Without improved infrastructure and government aid, these communities are at the mercy of what could prove to be a cold and long winter. 

Local News- How Much Snow Did Muncie get? And What’s Coming Next?Star Press  

Students throughout the midwest rejoiced at the news of the coming snow, as it meant class cancelation for many. For Ball State Cardinals, it meant a little more sleep as classes before 8:00 am were canceled on Tuesday. Perfect for sledding, snowball fights, and walking to class in, Muncie woke up yesterday with 7.3 inches of snow. On top of this, Muncie is estimated to get 1-3 more inches between Wednesday and Thursday. So whip out the snow pants and shovels because it doesn’t look like this snow is going anywhere anytime soon.

Monet Lindstrand is the Ball State Her Campus chapter's Senior Editor! She is a Political Science and Women and Gender Studies double major with minors in French and Campaign Communications. Outside of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of the Student Government Association, President of the Panhellenic Association, and Director of Alumnae Relations for the Zeta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta. Monet is a vegetarian and has a passion for women’s rights and politics!
Ball State Chapter of Her Campus