My Top Three Artists Under One Million Listeners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

As an 18-year-old girl, I have the civic duty to enjoy the top 100 hits and stream Taylor Swift 12 hours a day. While I am an avid enjoyer of most popular music, I also try to broaden my music taste by listening to up-and-coming artists. The three artists I am discussing today all have under one million listeners and are relatively new. I hope you find that you love and appreciate each of their individual styles as much as I do. 

Maude Latour 

Genre- pop

Maude Latour is a 22-year-old pop artist who was born in Sweden and was raised in London and New York. While in her senior year of high school at The Brearley School, Latour released her first EP, High School High. This EP was unfortunately taken off of streaming platforms. She then released her EP, Starsick, which I consider some of her best work. My biggest recommendation of hers comes from that EP, which is “Ride My Bike”. Her most recent release is called Twin Flame, which is a very philosophical pop/indie EP. Maude Latour’s music can be compared to Lorde’s, as she mentions in a tweet saying, “ok lorde song is about to drop so this is the last time i will tell u this: if u like queen lorde’s music i promise u will love my music. please trust me i promise u won’t regret it.”. Latour has the ability to control an audience with her enthusiasm and charisma; immediately when she steps on stage the audience is at her command. With that all being said, as Maude Latour’s self-proclaimed number one fan, I cannot recommend her enough!

Plains 

Genre- Country 

Plains is a duo that consists of Katie Crutchfield and Jess Williamson. The two met roughly five years ago and made a perfect match. The two of them were both born and raised in the south and have fully embraced their country roots. Plains released their first album, I Walked With You a Ways, in 2022. This album showed off the two artists’ passion for country music and also introduced a folk aspect. The first song that I was introduced to by a Spotify playlist was “Problem With It”. This song felt nostalgic while also feeling brand new. If you enjoy music by Lorretta Lynn and/or Dolly Parton, I can imagine this duo will fit right in with your already perfect taste in music. 

Wallice 

Genre- alternative/indie 

Wallice is an alternative indie artist who was born in Los Angeles, California. She attended The New School in New York but dropped out to pursue her music career. Her first single, which was released on streaming platforms, is called Punching Bag. This single was then put on Spotify’s Lorem playlist and is what launched her music career. She is now signed to Dirty Hit, who also has artists like the 1975 and Rina Sawayama signed to them. While with Dirty Hit, she also released three EPs and three non-album singles. One of my biggest recommendations from Wallice is 90’s American Super Star, which is an upbeat indie song that makes multiple references to iconic 90s films. I would also recommend her single Japan, which was inspired by her going to Japan to reconnect with her Japanese roots. This song is not only recorded in English but also in Japanese. I have seen Wallice twice in concert. The first time being her headline show, and the second time being when she opened for JAWNY. After seeing her once and hearing her unreplicable and beautiful voice live, I knew I was hooked and needed to go back again. Seeing her twice sealed the deal, and why I am writing this article right now!

Sabrina Gonzalez

Ball State '27

I am Sabrina Gonzalez a current Freshman at Ball State University. Currently I am majoring in Journalism with a focus in Mass Communication. I am currently taking enrty level journalism classes while in my first semester. While in high school I was apart of creating the year book in 2020.