Muncie Tree Lighting Ceremony

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

‘Tis the season to be jolly in downtown Muncie. Every year, the city of Muncie comes together to celebrate the lighting of the community Christmas tree.

This year was no different, and on Dec. 2, the DWNTWN organization hosted Light Up DWNTWN from 5-8 p.m. in Muncie’s newest urban park at Canan Commons. People of all ages came to enjoy activities that included games, shopping and ice skating. Mayor Dennis Tyler was joined by the Muncie Fire Department for the official tree lighting, and music filled the commons as families and friends began several hours of fun – despite the cold.

(Olaf joins fire firefighters as the tree is lit)

Local ice sculptors were also a popular attraction during the evening. An ice monument to celebrate Muncie’s holiday season was created in front of an audience, and individual ice blocks were available with free name carvings.

“It’s a great time to have fun with family, friends and community,” ice sculptor Stephen Koch said.

(DWNTWN Muncie ice monument)

The event also attracted a large number of Ball State students – many who had never been to the downtown celebration before.

“This is my first time here and I love it,” freshman nursing major Hannah Williams said. “I love the feeling of being in a city during the holidays like this.”

Others were veterans to the community event, but the new venue was a “nice refresher,” senior Sydney Thomas said.

“Past years, it was good, but this is great,” she said. “Muncie has a lot of holiday activities, and this is one of the better ones I’ve been to.”