Meet Ball State: Amanda Harmon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Editor’s note: Meet Ball State is a weekly series that features Ball State students, faculty and alumni.

Amanda Harmon, a 2002 graduate from Ball State University, stopped to chat with HC Ball State this week. The cardinal turned event management specialist is now a busy woman and mom on-the-go.

Check out what Amanda has to say about college memories, job advice and life planning during our Q&A with the BSU alumna:

What is your favorite Ball State memory?

I used to live in Woodworth, so I would say my favorite memory on-campus would be running around the dorm with a lot of my friends. We used to get a little crazy in there, but we were all really good friends. Off-campus, I think my best memories are with the people I met when I volunteered at the Boys and Girls Club in Muncie during my last few years there. I met a lot of really great people and worked with a lot of great kids, so I think that was something I’ll always remember.

What is your life like now?

My life is crazy now – but it’s in a good way. I have two kids, both boys, so there’s a lot revolving around those two. I also do a lot of event management now, so I stay busy. But life is good. Sometimes I find myself missing Muncie, but I’m glad to be out of the state and doing my own thing now (in Ohio). I’m really happy with where I’m at.

How hard was it to find a job after graduating?

I didn’t have a lot of trouble because I had done a few internships in my hometown before and had good connections with family friends. But for my old roommate, it took her almost a year to get a job. But I wouldn’t let that bring you down. You usually don’t get the job you actually want on the first, second, third, whatever time. And I think that’s okay. As long as you have a solid idea about where you want to be, you can make it through the process of actually getting there.

What do you wish you could go back and do if you were still in college?

My husband and I always joke that we wish we could go back and be good students. For me at least, I know I had a lot of fun while I was there, and I think I made some stupid mistakes that I could have avoided if I had my head screwed on a little tighter. But I had a great time at Ball State. I almost went to IU, but I’m really glad I didn’t. I had good professors and classes at BSU, and I think the school has only gotten better since.

What advice do you have for undergraduates at Ball State now?

Oh man. Do as much as you can, while you still can. There are so many things I took for granted in college. You don’t have to worry about the full responsibilities of adulthood yet – so prepare yourselves. Learn the things you need to in class, but go out and try to do as much real experience as possible while the resources are there. Ask questions, be confused once in awhile – college is the best place to make mistakes and learn things from those mistakes while the consequences are low and the opportunity for learning so high. Just do your best – you get out what you put in.

Ball State Chapter of Her Campus
Casey Smith

Ball State