israel sundseth BYu8ITUWMfc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
israel sundseth BYu8ITUWMfc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

ICYMI: The 3 Best Shows at NYFW

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

New York Fashion Week Fall 2020 struck up a lot of questions once COVID-19 struck the United States. Would there be one? If so, what will happen? How will it happen? And better yet, what are the collections going to look like? These questions were all answered the week of September 13. The shows were deserted due to restrictions set as a result of COVID. This left  designers to present their shows in unique  ways. Jeremy Scott, creative director for Moschino, replaced live models with puppets for Milan Fashion Week. Designer Jason Wu live streamed his Spring 2021 collection from a rooftop in New York City. Whether it’s with a live model or an extravagant puppet, here are the best three shows from NYFW.

Christian Siriano S/S 2021 was set in his home located in beautiful Westport, Connecticut His large backyard was turned into a spring wonderland to showcase this ‘80s and ‘90s inspired collection. The set featured colorful floral arrangements beside an elegant swimming pool. There was a makeshift runway that laid across the pool to emphasize the spring aesthetic. My favorite look of the collection was an ‘80s-inspired red and white gingham skirt and blazer set. The looks in the collection were inspired by many movies from the 1980s and 1990s that Siriano binged during quarantine. Christian Siriano stated in an interview with Vogue Runway, “Because  it reminded me of when I was growing up wanting to be a fashion designer—that’s kind of what inspired everything.” This S/S 2021 collection will be a blast from the past for many.

Khaite was first established in 2016 and has been serving stunning looks since. The show was shot as a short film and published during NYFW. Consistent themes in NYFW feature light, cheery, and optimistic collections. This is not the case for Khaite. The collection features dark looks with a moody atmosphere. “A time of doom and hope, trauma and rebirth, intolerance and endurance,” cites the statement on this collection. My favorite look was this babydoll-esque polka dot dress that has a low cut sweetheart neckline with puffed shoulders. Khaite’s show of doom and hope is honestly refreshing compared to the bright colored florals that are popular for the S/S 2021 look.

Veronica Beard is a well-known name in the fashion industry. Known for their super chic work-wear and famous take on the blazer–Veronica Beard made a big impression this NYFW. Their collection was shot as a lookbook and released on September 14. The setting features flowers and nature–a symbol of hope and good wishes. This is an example of the recurring theme of cheer for this NYFW, which  is due to the devastating global pandemic.  My favorite look from the collection was a nude button-up mini dress with a short flare sleeve. It had a tie around the waist that I loved so much. I would say out of all the shows I’ve discussed, this is one that I would buy from,for sure.

NYFW may have been different for a lot of people this year, but it did not stop designers and labels from being their usual, innovative selves. They’re making sure fashion stays  alive during these trying times. Warm tones and vivid patterns were a common theme this year because of the tragic COVID-19 pandemic. People want something to brighten their days, and these S/S 2021 collections do just that.

Her Campus Ball State staff Ball State Class of 2024 I love reading and all things fashion Follow me on socials to see what I'm up to!