Style > Fashion

How to Find YOUR Style Aesthetic – and Thrift It!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Sometimes, it feels like I fall in love with every single outfit I see on TikTok. Street style with sweatpants and the latest Jordans? Saved to my “fashion” folder. A cottage-core milkmaid dress complete with ribbons and bows? I’m smashing the “like” button. Girlfriend of the band aesthetic with 70s flair jeans and a fur vest? Yup, I’m planning where I’d wear that. On social media, we’re so bombarded with the newest styles and trends that it’s hard to find your own authentic vibe. Personally, I needed to find MY style aesthetic. The worst part of finding my aesthetic, in my opinion, is that I needed to shop and wear that aesthetic in my everyday life in an accessible and attainable way. And I want to do it in a sustainable way, forgoing fast fashion and going thrifting with friends as a fun activity.

Enter one of the greatest apps known to humankind: Pinterest. Known for its recipes, DIY how-tos, nail inspiration, and more, Pinterest was the perfectly overwhelming and decadent app to find my fashion aesthetic, if only I knew where to start. Firstly, I identified commonalities across the outfits of all style genres that I liked: the comfortability of street-style fashion, the vibrant colors of cottage-core styles, and the unique textures of vintage 70s and 80s outfits. And then, I based my Pinterest outfit searches on those commonalities. By “pinning” outfits that have elements I enjoy across all styles, or outfits with those common joys I find in every fashion style, I can view on one board my most loved pieces across all styles. In my love of both cottage-core and vintage, I can see on my Pinterest style board that a lot of the outfits I love in both genres have white slip skirts, oftentimes ones that are silky or loose-fitting. In both my love of Cottagecore-Cowboy and Coquette fashions, plus the ever-classy Coastal Grandma style, I can see that red and white leather cowboy boots are in trend across all three genres. 

After creating Pinterest boards for inspiration and identifying common pieces, I list them. Like many Gen-Zs with ADHD, I write everything down so I don’t forget it. From grocery lists to steps in my extensive skincare routine, I use the Notes app on my phone religiously. And my fashion needs are not exempt from finding their home in my lists. By creating a list with roughly 3 types of evergreen and re-wearable tops or jackets, 2 types of pants and shorts that can be worn across two different seasons and with many types of outfits, and 2 pairs of shoes (one sensible and one only for special occasions, of course), I can easily walk into the thrift store and know what I’m looking for. My most recent list? We had the following: 

Tops:

• Oversized jacket, preferably black or red leather
  • White top, plain/no writing, able to be tucked in or loose
  • Something pink that won’t clash if worn alongside another shade of pink

Bottoms:

• White skirt, hopefully silky or loose-fitting (can be worn in spring, winter, and fall)
  • Denim pants, especially flare or mom-jean style (fall, winter, and spring seasons)

Shoes

• Plain white shoes- not Air Forces or flats – something like Converse or a basic shape that can be worn across multiple outfits
  • Cowboy boots, hopefully red, white, brown leather, or black for tailgating

Forget throwing together outfits that only work with one specific top or being overwhelmed by the mass of clothing in my face; I can easily identify the pieces I’m looking for and know what sections to find them in. This may be my recent list with very basic ideas, but that’s the great thing about finding your style– it’s YOURS! So if you’re constantly stuck in the loop of “I love this style, but I love that one too,” it’s possible to mix and match them! Your style is your own, and the most important part is to simply wear it with confidence! When you feel good, you look good, and when you look good, you feel good. So put yourself and your confidence first! You’ve got this! <3

Grace Carman

Ball State '24

Hi there! I'm Grace Carman and I use she/her/hers pronouns! I'm a senior at Ball State studying Public Relations and Advertising, but have a concentration in Event Planning and a minor in Theatre, and am a member of the Honors College! Despite being heavily involved in extracurriculars, leadership, and my job at the Honors College, I am extremely passionate about all things fashion, pop culture, film, and fun! If you're interested in connecting, you can find me on Instagram @_gracecarman or on LinkedIn at Grace Carman. Let's get to know each other!