This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

A year ago I thought I had it all planned out. I could see my future staring at me right in the eyes. At the beginning of the school year, everything seemed to be going right in the world. I was attending my dream college, I’d happily pledged into Alpha Omicron Pi and was pursuing a special education teaching degree. I was excited to move on from the high school drama and begin the next chapter of my life. Fast forward a couple of months, my happiness as well as my motivation to do my schoolwork began to decrease more and more every day. I kept telling myself that it was the dorm life and that I needed to get out of there. Suddenly, during the most depressing moments in my life, a global pandemic occurred. I got sent home not knowing that I wouldn’t see my friends or sisters again until the following year. However, getting out of those dorms was probably one of the best moments in my life. At that time, I thought they were the reason why I had lost my dedication for the future, but it turns out I was completely wrong.

After much consideration, I concluded that the source of the issues was my major. I simply wasn’t as passionate about it as I thought I would be. Nothing was engaging enough to get me to stay committed; the professors, my fellow peers, the class curriculum, it all felt like a drag. After realizing that I didn’t want to continue with special education, I knew that I needed to figure out what I was truly passionate about. The school year was coming to an end and the time to plan and schedule my sophomore year classes was just around the corner. After a late-night conversation with my brother, he opened my eyes to something that I had never considered: interior design. Interior design has been a hobby of mine since I was in the seventh grade. I was just too scared to try it out because of how involved my life was outside of classes. I decided to take a leap of faith and switch my major to interior design. The shift is real, but with the constant support of my family and sorority sisters I am confident that I can succeed in this major.  

The main reason why I decided to write about this life-changing time is simple. Switching majors can be scary, but if you’re passionate about something, just go for it. As famously said in A Cinderella Story, “never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.” I knew that if I didn’t take this leap of faith, I would be sitting in my future classroom wishing that I had been a little more confident in myself. You want to make sure your major is right for you and that you can flourish in whatever it is you are doing.  Even though it took countless nights of overthinking, I know that I made the best choice for my future and I cannot wait to take on the world of interior design!

Emily Keeler

Ball State '24

Welcome to my page!