This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

As the weather begins to turn colder, I am ready for fall! One of my favorite parts of the fall season is refreshing my closet through thrifting and picking out new items for the season. Thrifting not only works well for a college student on a budget, but it also helps the environment by shopping secondhand. 

Oversized Sweaters

Sweaters are always a big fashion trend for fall, but this year, consider an oversized fall sweater. Oversized sweaters, particularly those with oversized knits, are great for a cozy feel and pair well with both jeans and leggings. 

Vintage Crewnecks

Crewnecks are always a cute go-to for the fall season. You can make a crewneck your own with some creative layering or by turning it into a cutoff. 

Business Casual 

Wide-leg trousers, oversized blazers and loafers are expected to be back in style this fall. Business casual tends to be an easy trend to find at the thrift store, as workplace staples are always in stores. 

Off-the-Shoulder Tops 

On the runways and in stores, off-the-shoulder tops have been making a comeback in a sleek, fun and feminine way. This trend is leaning more towards a tighter, figure-hugging silhouette and would be a great trend to snag in the thrift store. 

Denim Maxi Skirts 

Maxi skirts and dresses have been increasing in popularity over the last few seasons. This trend is already resurfacing with a fun twist. Denim maxi skirts in thrift stores are often vintage and of good quality, and you usually find them in all types of washes!

Cowboy Boots

Tailgates have already proven that country-chic is in. Cowboy boots are always a fun thrift find; they are usually unique and already broken in. Consider adding fun ribbons that match your school colors or your own personal aesthetic to change it up!

Brenna Large

Ball State '25

Brenna is a new writer to HerCampus, and is excited to have the opportunity to write! She is a History and Political Science double major with a minor in Fashion. Outside of HerCampus, she is the President Pro Tempore for the Student Government Association, a member of the Ball State Debate Team, and the Vice President for the Zeta Kappa Chapter of Kappa Delta. She hopes to work at a museum in the future. Brenna loves Taylor Swift and reading in her spare time.