This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Definition of “I love you”

Dear Dad, 

They asked me what love was to me and all I could think of was you.

Without you I wouldn’t get those, “text me when you get home” messages from my boyfriend.

The love I get from him is the kind that awakens the soul and makes me reach for more.

He plants a fire in my heart and brings peace to my mind. That is what you have given

me, what I hope you are finding.

Without you I wouldn’t believe that the man upstairs has my best interest in mind.

For many years I have struggled, wanting an answer to all of my questions and I never

knew how to get help. I always wanted God to just walk into my room and say, “so this is

what you need to do…” However, I have learned that is not how he works. There are

three ways he helps us in life. He says yes and gives you what you want, he says no

and gives you something better, or he says wait and gives you the best. Being patient

with him will give you all of the love in the world you need.

You are the reason why I can call my mom my hero and my sister my best friend.

Growing up I was blessed with an older sister that had my best interest at heart. She

always had my back, made me laugh when my life was falling apart and would pick me

up at 2 am if I needed to go home. My sister became my number one supporter out of

what seemed like nothing. She taught me my worth, how I deserve to be treated, and

not to put up with anyone’s nonsense. Now, growing up I watched my mom raise two

girls by herself. She provided the world and more to my sister and I. I learned how to be

a respectable friend, how to talk to parents, how to treat my friends and most

importantly, how to be strong.

It is you who proved to me that self love is greater than any other payback. I

learned how to build an unbelievable support system of friends and family. I started

putting myself first and most importantly, I started truly loving myself. I now do what

makes me happy and what will help me in the future. I could not have done any of that

without you.

“I love you” means that I accept you for the person you are and that I don’t wish

to change you into someone else. It means that I don’t expect perfection from you; just

as you don’t expect it from me. It means that I’ll love you and stand by you even through

the worst of times. It means loving you when you’re in a bad mood and too tired to do

the things I want to do. It means loving you when you’re down, not just when you’re fun to be with. “I love you” means that I know your deepest darkest secrets if you’ll let me

and don’t judge you for them, asking in return only that you do not judge me for mine. It

means thinking of you, dreaming of you, wanting and needing you, and knowing that

you feel the same way for me. There, of course, is always more. But some things are just

harder to put in words so all I need to say is, I miss you Dad, just know you are the reason I believe in love.

Clarissa Carrigan

Ball State '24

Hello! I am a sophomore at Ball State University! I major in urban planning and am also a Off-campus Senator in the Student Government Association.