This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Anyone who has visited Washington, D.C. from the months of June-August knows that it is something truly special. A bustling city filled with school groups, tourists, and professionals alike, our nation’s capital offers something for everyone. The group that exceedingly flocks the city in the summer, however, are bright-eyed, ambitious college interns. As a seasoned D.C. intern myself, I can say that there is nowhere else quite like here.

IMG 8607 Tezza 4692 3

Interning in the Nation’s Capital

My D.C. journey began last summer, when I served as a legislative “hill-tern” for the office of Representative Sean Casten, IL-06th district. I stayed in a questionable George Washington University dorm and commuted via the Metro every day to the Rayburn House Office Building, the largest of the House buildings. What is incredibly unique about the Congressional Campus is that the three House buildings, three Senate buildings, and the U.S. Capitol are all connected via underground tunnels and a tram system. Additionally, the complex has a plethora of restaurants and cafeterias, as well as a laundromat, fitness rooms, a shoe shiner, and even two hair salons/barbers! I spent my days answering phone calls from Illinois constituents, attending legislative briefings on topics the Congressman was passionate about, and completing a summer-long project on the female presence in the electric vehicle industry. As a political science major, this was truly a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

Throughout the summer, I made some incredible friends and had experiences I could have only dreamed of. Between meeting Matthew McConaughey in an elevator, and Nancy Pelosi and Pete Buttigieg at a portrait unveiling, there was no shortage of surprises. By the end of my ten weeks in D.C., I was hooked. I knew, without a doubt, that I wanted to return next summer, and eventually, move there permanently.

Fortunately, my dream for D.C. summer #2 came true. This summer, I am serving as a communications and marketing intern for the Trust for the National Mall, the leading nonprofit, nonpartisan philanthropic partner of the National Park Service for the National Mall. Within walking distance of the office this year, I assist with social media, website updates, newsletter drafting, and so much more. I additionally get to attend events, like our U.S. Park Police Horse Stables and Education Center opening, where I take photos and videos to be used later. I will be applying to graduate school in the fall to obtain my master’s in communications, and so this internship is a wonderful opportunity to learn about this career and field.

IMG 8137 IMG 8836

D.C. Sites and D.C. Bites

Although D.C. is filled with working professionals, it is also a city with a variety of museums, shops, restaurants, and bars/nightclubs. It is certainly a change from Muncie, IN! Although I work at my internship M-Th, and on weekends at Everlane in Georgetown, I always make time to explore the city with my friends. As a vegetarian (and college student on a budget), I am constantly on the hunt for cheap meals with a variety of options. Here is this installment’s list of D.C. Sites and D.C. Bites:

3DCA420D 183C 4912 9712 B6BBA6222878

D.C. Sites

National Gallery of Art

If my name is any indication, viewing art is one of my primary passions. Anywhere I travel, I always ensure that I make time to see the local art galleries in the area. Although D.C. has a wide selection of museums, the National Gallery of Art will always hold a special place in my heart. With a stunning fountain at the base of a sweeping grand staircase, visitors can explore a variety of creative exhibits. My personal favorite (of course) is the impressionist wing, which is home to an expansive collection of Claude Monet paintings in particular. Although I have visited countless times, I don’t think I will ever tire of wandering the galleries and observing the beautiful art.

Nationals Baseball Game

If you are not a typical sports fan, D.C. baseball is the sport for you. Located in Navy Yard, a bustling district of bars, restaurants, and the best ice cream shop in D.C., Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams, Nationals Stadium is home to the Washington Nationals, D.C.’s professional baseball team. Tickets are relatively cheap, with the opportunity to get $5 box office tickets before the game, so this is the perfect biweekly, or even weekly, event to attend. Soak up the summer sunshine while enjoying a classic gameday snack and drink, and be sure to hit The Bullpen, Navy Yard’s most popular sports bar and music venue!

Theodore Roosevelt Island

One of the most exciting journeys that I am taking this summer is running the Georgetown Half Marathon on July 30th. This will be the first time that I ever run a half marathon, and quite honestly, the first time I have ever completed a lengthy race in general. To train, I have been exploring a variety of trails and running paths around D.C. (and will certainly be rating these throughout the summer), and recently happened upon Theodore Roosevelt Island. Accessible via bridge, this island is a forest filled with trails, and is home to a monument dedicated to former President Theodore Roosevelt. It is a completely different environment compared to the bustling city of D.C., and I appreciate having a place to escape to nature when I would like to!

U.S. Park Police Horse Stables and Education Center

As I mentioned in the previous sections above, I am currently an intern for the Trust for the National Mall. I had to include one of our most recent renovation projects on this list of sites, as it is truly a must-see on the National Mall. The Trust for the National Mall worked with the Mounted Unit, a U.S. park police force that utilizes horses, to completely rebuild their working stables and create an Education Center for the public to visit. The Education Center is open Thursday-Sunday, 9:00 am-5:00 pm, and visitors have the chance to learn about the history of the Mounted Unit on the National Mall, and meet the horses and officers who serve in the unit!

D.C. Bites

Silver- New American Brasserie

This delicious restaurant is located in the picturesque Cathedral Commons, a neighborhood just down the street from the Washington National Cathedral. This is not a new bite for me, as I visited once last summer with some friends. But I decided I needed to return with my mom for a true D.C. brunch experience. After devouring their classic avocado toast and an iced vanilla latte with almond milk, I can certainly say that Silver is worth the trek from Foggy Bottom. I will definitely be returning soon, and additionally exploring the National Cathedral while I am there!

Sette Osteria

A friend of mine just recently turned 21 (counting down the days until July 12th, when I turn 21!), and so we went to Sette Osteria for their bottomless brunch. For $15, you are able to get bottomless mimosas, bellinis, and apple cider for two hours. Although I did not participate, I was told that this was a delicious deal. For my meal, I chose the french toast, which came with seasonal fruit. I was honestly not thrilled with this dish, as the french toast tasted strongly like eggs, and the seasonal fruit was primarily honeydew and cantaloupe (which I don’t personally like). Although I would return once I am 21 for the bottomless deal, I will be choosing a different meal item.

Dirty Habit

I had the pleasure of attending a work happy hour at the Dirty Habit, and it did not disappoint! Our office chose six hors d’oeuvres (three vegetarian, three with meat), their traditional and truffle fries, individual baked mac and cheese cups, and mini burgers and chicken sandwiches. For the hors d’oeuvres, I had falafel bites and mini spring rolls, which were both pretty good. The true stars of the show, however, were the fries and mac and cheese cups. Perfectly fried and seasoned, I think I could have eaten only the fries and been happy. But the individual mac and cheese is what I will be returning for. It was creamy and rich, with a crispy breadcrumb topping. I was absolutely obsessed. On top of the delicious food, our party was seated outside in the courtyard, which was aesthetically decorated and perfect to spend the sunny, 75-degree weather in. 10/10 recommend!

Call your mother Deli

This is my all-time favorite bagel place, especially as someone from the Midwest who doesn’t get to regularly experience East Coast bagels. There are several locations across D.C., and each building is painted in their staple bubblegum pink and mint green, with an abundance of flowers displayed to complete the aesthetic experience. The bagels themselves are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, and although pricey, worth spending a bit extra. My personal favorite sandwich is the “Mountain View,” which has mashed avocado, bodega-style local eggs, latke, and American and cheddar cheeses, on a plain bagel. Truly nothing better than meeting up with friends for bagels and coffee here on a sunny Sunday morning.

Falafel Inc

If you have ever spoken to me about my time in D.C., chances are we have talked about Falafel Inc. Introduced to me by a good friend of mine last summer, this cheap and delicious restaurant had my business 2-3 times a week. With $4 falafel sandwiches, $5 falafel bowls, and $4 zaatar fries (among several other similarly priced dishes), this is probably the best deal in the city. And as a vegetarian, it is amazing to have so many options at one restaurant. This is a must-visit for anyone who finds themselves in D.C.!

Monet Lindstrand is the Ball State Her Campus chapter's Senior Editor! She is a Political Science and Women and Gender Studies double major with minors in French and Campaign Communications. Outside of Her Campus, she is the Vice President of the Student Government Association, President of the Panhellenic Association, and Director of Alumnae Relations for the Zeta Kappa chapter of Kappa Delta. Monet is a vegetarian and has a passion for women’s rights and politics!