Sweater over Dress
Sweater over Dress
Original photo by Meghan Dale
Style

5 Ways to Style a Sweater

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

The fall and winter seasons are here, and that means it is time to bring out all of the cozy sweaters! Wearing the same sweaters over and over can feel monotonous, so the best way to elevate your outfit is to STYLE your sweaters!  Finding new ways to style a basic sweater can create a whole different look. As the cool months are upon us, here are some sweater outfit ideas to inspire your wardrobe this season!

Layer a Turtleneck Underneath

My favorite part about fall and winter is layering! To transform a classic sweater, pair a turtleneck underneath. This not only can keep you extra warm, but offers an added element to a plain sweater. 

Mom Jeans and Cardigan 

Need an alternative for a typical sweater? The oversized cardigan is a cute and trendy option! These are the perfect way to spice up any outfit and give your outfit that cozy and cute vibe! Cardigans can be paired with your favorite mom jeans. 

Over a Dress 

When the weather begins to change, there is no need to put your dresses away! Grab a chunky sweater and pair it over the dress. If you want a cinched waist, use a belt! Put the belt around your waist and tuck the sweater underneath! Pair this with your favorite sneakers to have a casual but girly look! 

Patterned Pants

A great way to spice up a neutral colored sweater doesn’t involve the sweater at all! Swap out your classic jeans with some patterned pants! This can give a sophisticated and put together look. Dress it up with a pair of black booties, or dress it down with a pair of sneakers! 

With Sweatpants

With being stuck inside and not able to venture out, sweatpants have been my go-to in 2020. If you want to dress comfy but all cute, pair a sweater with your favorite sweatpants! Throw on some white sneakers for a super casual look! 

Meghan Dale

Ball State '24

Fashion Merchandising Major and Ball State University