4 Spring Break Destinations You Didn’t Think About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ball State chapter.

Looking for somewhere to go this Spring Break?

Here are some of the best underrated spring break destinations to help you avoid the crushing crowds — and ensure you have a time to remember.

1. Nashville, Tenn.

It’s the country’s music capital, and things are always heated up before the summer! Music of all kinds, from country to old-school blues, is always playing through the streets, meaning it’s one of the few places you can find a traditional honky-tonk bar next to a multi-story club! Nashville is a prime location to get rid of your stress and have a good time!

Eat: Hattie B’s Hot Chicken — Time your arrival at Hattie B’s past noon, and you may well wind up waiting for an hour or more. But the “hot” and hot-sauce doused fried chicken can’t be beat.

Drink: Honky Tonk Central — This is three stories of pouring drinks and booming loud music — often with a different artist on each floor — open until 3 a.m. seven nights a week in the heart of Nashville’s nightlife. Need we say more?

See: Grand Ole Opry — Though the venue is a bit outside the city proper, there are few places like the Opry to take in a show. The concept, not the building, dates back to 1925 and it’s hosted everyone from Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson to Eric Church and Jennifer Nettles. Become part of one of the live-radio recorded shows, where you can take in a half-dozen of your favorite artists in one night. To be on the safe side, book early, as tickets can increase in price closer to shows – or run out completely.

Stay: Hampton Inn and Suites — Grab a travel buddy (or two) and split the fare on rooms in the $200s to get downtown walkable convenience without a major downtown accommodation cost.

2. San Diego, Calif.

Who can say no to 70 degree, sunny California weather in the middle of an Indiana winter? It won’t be a cheap trip, but the people of San Diego are known for the hospitality and welcoming attitudes towards younger tourists. If you have a little extra cash and you want to lay back, California is the place for you!

Eat: Deli Sushi & Desserts — One of the city’s more-popular sushi joints (cash-only) has a claim to fame: the self-dubbed largest roll in the city. It’s also what it says it is: A deli set-up but instead of serving pastrami, it serves sushi.

Drink: Bar Kindred — Riding the vegan-friendly wave, Bar Kindred packs complicated new-age cocktails inspired by, well, veggies. Elaborate garnishes and careful mixing proves that looks matter here, too.

See: San Diego Zoo — It’s not much of a secret, but you’re never too old for the San Diego Zoo, a sprawling 100-acre expanse dotted with walkways and thousands of animals, from the African Spurred Tortoise to the Sloth bear. It’s one of the largest in the world, by both size and number of species.

Stay: Kings Inn Hotel — It’s hard to find cheap places to stay out here, but this well-reviewed spot close to downtown is clean and affordable, with early-bird rates in the double-digits.

3. Missoula, Mont.

Emphasis on the ‘break’ in Spring Break on this one. Montana is a hidden gem, and any college student looking to relax and enjoy the outdoors is sure to enjoy a visit to Missoula. The smallish, student-friendly city with a walkable core is home to the University of Montana and filled with everything from micro-breweries to art galleries. Bundle up and head down to the Clark Fork River, which cuts through the city, at sunset. There are plenty of paths to wander near the water. The weather hangs in the upper-50s this time of year, with lows in the 30s, so it’s no beach, but it is comfortable during the day.

Eat: Hob Nob Cafe — For affordable, cafe-style food spruced up with sockeye salmon and sourdough pancakes, have a coffee and a leisurely brunch at the Hob Nob.

Drink: Big Sky Brewing Company — Brewed by Montanans, served by Montanans, Big Sky’s bar can quench thirsts of all kinds. Try the Moose Drool brown which claims to be “like chocolate, for beer lovers.”

See: LoLo Hot Springs — When you need a break from the cold (and you will need one), venture on over to the hot springs for a soak. Be careful — time becomes relative in the water. The spring was a spot well-known by the local Indians before the arrival of Lewis and Clark, according to its website.

Stay: Doubletree Missoula — Though it’s on the upper-end of pricing for local hotels – with rates hovering this time of year a little over $100 – the river is right in the hotel’s backyard. Walk onto the bridge overlooking the Clark Fork River at sunset for something truly spectacular.

4. Savannah, Ga.

There’s more to Georgia than Atlanta. From the Spanish, moss-studded 19th-century churches to the cobblestone street lined with stores and restaurants that front the river — the heart of historic Savannah — you’ll find a wild mix of history, culture and nightlife. It’s much smaller than Atlanta, with a slower pace to match – but late-night Savannah will surprise you with its energy. Plus, you’re only an hour from the beach – who could complain?

Eat: The Cotton Exchange — While it’s still light out, go down to River Street, Savannah’s vibrant, open-container waterfront zone, and stop in at this tavern and restaurant housed in an old cotton warehouse. Go for the must-try crab chowder.

Drink: The Distillery — This ale house started out in the early 1900s as a distilling company. About a mile off the riverfront’s beaten path, it’s worth the trip thanks to its lineup of craft beers and pre-Prohibition vibe.

See: The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist — One of the oldest cathedrals in the country, with roots in the 18th century, the church’s classic Roman Catholic architecture awes the religious and secular alike, and its white marble columns and ample gilding looks very deep South.

Stay: The B Historic — The upscale hotel, a 15-minute walk from the riverfront, is actually in the midst of renovations, so rooms are less if you can put up with some dust.

Ball State Chapter of Her Campus
Casey Smith

Ball State