Your Feminist Stance And How It Can Impact Support Of Men

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

America is currently in the midst of some of its greatest societal reforms. One of the biggest social shifts centers on the role of women in society, which throughout time has been traditionally limited.  During this year alone, America has seen movements centered around the rights that women have, to think and act independently.

Despite the fact that women’s rights in America have been a growing concern since the 19th century, there is still modern-day controversy surrounding the loud discussion of female independence. This controversy is partly due to how public the issue is and how many diverse opinions are part of the conversation. The controversy is also caused however, by extremist forms of feminism that in an attempt to make change for women’s rights, also can insult men, and divert support from the cause.

What happens when a man supports the idea of feminism, but he is offended by extremist degradation of the male gender, and he, therefore, chooses to avoid participation in the movement? Why would men want to support a movement that is commonly coined in American pop-culture for its “hate for men”? Well, it’s clear that many people don’t understand what feminism exactly is.

So then how do we include men, some of who are reluctant, in this fast-growing social change?

1.     Know the difference between radical and traditional feminism

2.     Know your stance on feminism

3.     Know ethics behind your stance on feminism

4.     Act knowingly for your cause, and be aware of how your actions can impact supporters

Know the Difference Between Radical and Traditional Feminism

Extremist forms of feminism, also called radical feminism, is an approach to reverse patriarchal roots of society and remove the overall superiority of men over women. This is opposed to traditional feminism, which seeks equality of both the male and female sexes. The most extreme form of radical feminism is best exemplified by “The Scum Manifesto,” which was published in 1967 by Valerie Solanas, and argued men’s responsibility for ruining the world and women’s responsibility to repair the issues men created. Where traditional feminism is typically executed by running campaigns to reform policy and law, radical feminism might be executed through running protests featuring topless and braless women. It’s important to understand this difference so that you’re able to evaluate your individual take on feminism.

Know Your Stance on Feminism

You may find yourself more inclined to one of the types of feminism, either the radical or traditional form. You might also find yourself falling somewhere midway between the two beliefs. It is important to know what you believe and the ethics behind what you believe.

Know Ethics Behind Your Stance on Feminism

In consideration of the ethics behind your chosen belief system, you may find that the consequences of acting on those beliefs can be detrimental. For example, although you may align with radical feminism, participating in a partially-nude protest may be considered illegal and unethical in certain parts of the country.

Act Knowingly for Your Cause, and Be Aware of How Your Actions Can Impact Supporters

Whether you support traditional or radical feminism, it is impossible to have everyone in the world align with your beliefs. However, you can do your best to maximize support for your cause, which may require a modification of your belief, depending on who it impacts and what type of support you want.

With such four understandings, one has the ability to educate men, women, and others on the difference between traditional and radical feminism, and can help garner support for the overall feminist cause, if they choose to do so.

Passionate and strategic individual ready to make her impact.