This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

As I start preparing myself to head back to school, I should probably (definitely) say thank you before you drop me back at school for the upcoming semester.  There are too many ways to say thank you and way too many things to say thank you for.  And, after spending the past couple weeks in the comfort of home, and with friends and family, I have come to realize how much I appreciate you and all you do for me.  So, while I can’t even begin to thank you for everything you do, I can at least try to get to the tip of the iceberg here.

First, thank you for creating a place that makes coming home so comforting, warm, inviting, and special.  People always say that home is where your family is, and you two have taught me that no matter where our family is, and whether we are scattered across the globe or a few minutes away, that I will always have a home to come back to.  

Thank you for driving endless hours to come drag me and all my stuff home for long breaks, for moving me in and out of dorm rooms in the scorching summer heat, the downpouring rain, and the snow and ice.  Having the patience to take all of a girl’s things from place to place requires a special amount of patience and endless love that only a parent could have.

Thank you for putting up with me and Every. Single. One. of my little needs and nuances while I’m home.  From dealing with the endless home-from-college hunger and need for real food to the need for a hot bath to a night by the fireplace with a mug of cocoa, you both have certainly put up with quite a few needs this break.  You both go above and beyond to satisfy my every need and want while I’m home and make me feel special and loved by doing so.

And of course, thank you for being there even from afar.  Having a support team from afar can be the most important aspect in a college student’s life.  Thank you for being a listening ear when I call to rant endlessly about a group project. Thank you for express mailing the rain jacket and water bottle and similar things that I inevitably left at home.  And, thank you for always being available for a quick call at any second. Being present from afar is all I could ask for, and you two both go above and beyond every single day to be a constant support system.  

Know that, one day, when I graduate college, get a job, move on, start a family, and live my life, you will always be the first people I thank when I achieve the things you have set me up for.  I can only hope to make you proud. And, I will always strive to be half the parents to my kids as you are to me. You are my role models.

Well, as I give you one last hug before heading back to my dorm room, know that hug is loaded with a million thank yous for the little things you do day in and day out.  I love you.

Sincerely,

Your College Daughter

I'm a Junior at Babson College who is an outgoing, energetic, organized, coffee-obsessed person with a passion for running, fitness, travel, culture, cuisine, and fashion.