Now on Kickstarter: The World’s Most Ethical Notebook

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Campaign runs from May 1 – May 31, 2018

Needless to say, an overwhelming majority of us have no idea where our notebooks come from. Rarely do we ever question how they were made, who made them, and under what environments their makers were subjected to.

But it’s about time that we do.

Meet the World’s Most Ethical Notebook, a fair trade notebook designed with reused newspaper and is woven by artisans from Indonesia’s low-income communities. For the last year, Orange Papaya, a fair trade organization, has worked with communities and organizations in Indonesia to develop a notebook that leaves a positive impact along every step of its creation. Never before have you had the opportunity to know how your notebook was made and who made it.

Orange Papaya is taking the World’s Most Ethical Notebook to Kickstarter because it needs your support to make the notebook a reality. 

Orange Papaya is taking the World’s Most Ethical Notebook to Kickstarter because it needs your support to make the notebook a reality. Although Orange Papaya has done everything it can to establish a sustainable and reliable supply chain, it needs your last push of help to bring this notebook to everyone it resonates with, including you.

Beyond just its look and feel, the World’s Most Ethical Notebook possesses a vast process behind its creation. First, the organization set up trashbanks in local communities to collect used newspaper that would otherwise be sent to Indonesia’s large landfills. It then gathers and teaches women in the communities how to weave, providing them a tangible skill that they can keep for the rest of their lives.

Although a long journey is required for its artisans to master the art of weaving, doing so allows them to earn a source of income from home. This helps both those women who weren’t able to work traditional jobs as they had children to take care of as well as those women who were working physically demanding jobs such as trash picking and factory work. Therefore, not only does Orange Papaya provide fair-trade wages that are much higher than those they would find elsewhere, we also allow them to be with the people they love most.

When the newspaper is woven, it is coated with a water-based, non-toxic and water resistant coating that allows it to be extremely long-lasting and well protected. And once the newspaper cover is completed, it is combined with sustainably sourced, FSC certified paper of the highest quality, creating the World’s Most Ethical Notebook. This ensures that the paper comes from forests that are responsibly managed and provide environmental, social, and economic benefits to their communities.

As artisans take hours to weave each one, the World’s Most Ethical Notebook has distinct textures that gives it a remarkably unique and irresistible look. Because every notebook uses different newspaper, the design of each cover is truly authentic, making your notebook to be the one and only.

And when it all comes together, before it reaches your hands, there is one last step. That is, artisans sign every notebook they weave. Orange Papaya wants their names to be known by you and everyone else because at the end of the day, this would not have been possible without them.

Not only will you be able to learn about every artisan on Orange Papaya’s website, in every notebook is a postcard that has the picture of the person who weaved your notebook. Its artisans get the greatest joy when they are most appreciated, and you can show them your gratitude by sending this postcard directly to them, all with your love and care.

Orange Papaya is the bridge between you and our artisans from Indonesia’s unseen corners. Support its artisans and mission by getting the World’s Most Ethical Notebook today.

The Kickstarter will run from May 1 – May 31, 2018, with a limited amount of early orders.

Website: www.orangepapaya.org

Instagram: orangepapayausa – www.instagram.com/orangepapayausa/

Facebook: Orange Papaya USA – www.facebook.com/orangepapayausa/

Supporting Indonesian fairtrade enterprises 
???? Founder of Her Campus Babson. Lover of stories. Over drinker of coffee. College student interested in the intersection of business, tech, and creativity.