Wellness

How to Do Your Laundry (College Edition)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

If you’re the type of person who thinks that laundry is easy, it may be because you’re making it hard for other people. Hi, I’m one of those people. Here’s an unofficial guide on how to do your laundry. Don’t blame me for any damaged clothes. 

Step 1. Don’t Delay Your Laundry

Besides in emergency situations, such as vomiting on your shirt during a car ride to your relatives’ place and your aunt driving the car is totally judging you because you knew you are motion sick yet you  still decided to hop in the car without a barf bag, and other dire situations, you should have a set schedule for your laundry. Doing the laundry is a chore, and like cleaning your room every one or two weeks (hopefully), laundry is something you should also do every one or two weeks (again, hopefully). While doing your laundry too much, like washing the same shirt that you’ve vomited on from the ride to your relatives’ place every day, can damage your clothes and wear it out quickly, you shouldn’t burden yourself with one trip to the laundry room carrying a whole month’s worth of dirty laundry. You don’t only burden yourself, but you burden me because you take up all the machines in one go…and that makes me sad. 

Step 2. Your Soap Has Instructions

It is true, check the back, check the lid, check everything, one fact will still remain true: the soap has instructions. 

I can’t tell you how many of my friends don’t know how to use their laundry soap. A friend of mine uses liquid detergent. The lid functions as a cup, which has measurements to tell you which line to fill up to in order to wash the “x” amount of loads. For their one load of laundry, my friend filled the entire cup which was equivalent to around 3 loads of laundry, resulting in a huge waste of soap.

Step 3. Separating the Whites from Color

I’ll be honest, I don’t really know how to do so myself so we’ll skip this step. 

Step 4. Learning Laundry Etiquette

1. If you put your laundry in the washer and it will finish in 30 mins, please set a timer for 28 mins and get your stuff right when it’s done.

2. The only real acceptable excuses as to why finished laundry is still in the machines is a) you needed to use the bathroom or b) you did your laundry late at night and everyone is asleep so no one “needs” to use the laundry machine, but getting the clothes out should be on your list of things to do early in the morning. 

3. Don’t steal laundry baskets/bags from the laundry room. Those are someone else’s. I know people are risking their items to be stolen by leaving it in the laundry room, but it doesn’t really justify you to steal. Instead, invest in a nice sturdy basket for yourself in which only your clothes will ever touch. 

4. Don’t steal clothes. People need their clothes. 

Step 5. Feel Good

You did it! Your laundry is done, whether or not it is folded in a neat pile doesn’t matter because I’m no type to judge. A literal load is lifted from you and you can focus on other things now that the looming thought of needing to do laundry is gone for another week or two. 

As mentioned in the beginning, I am someone who suffers from a lack of laundry etiquette. I know I don’t do my laundry perfectly myself, but it’s still important to be considerate of others. 

Joyce Lee

Babson '22

Joyce is currently a freshman at Babson College. Besides writing for HerCampus, she enjoys eating and cleaning (in that particular order).
Babson College Student