This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

We all, as human beings, have this ingrained need for fulfillment, for deep bonds comprised of love. In order to achieve these bonds, we need to connect with people. And before we connect with people, we need to (shocker) get them to like us. I’m sharing my top 5 tips to help you network and connect with as many people as possible to help you feel important. Let’s do this.

1. Connect with them about literally anything. Talk to them about where they’re from, what their favorite hobbies are, about their family. There is always at least one thing in common, and all human beings naturally tend to like people who are similar to themselves. When you make that connection, you bond with the other person because they see a bit of themselves and their qualities in you. We are all naturally a little egotistical!

2. Smile! Smiling automatically makes us look more approaching, inviting, and trustworthy. Think about it, if you see a person with a RBF and you see someone smiling, who are you going to talk to and then bond with? The person smiling! Look happy and chill, and people will flock to you.

3. Call them by their name. Like I said before, we all are a little egotistical, it is a part of our human nature. We like to hear our names, our names belong to us alone and have personal meaning. When someone calls you by your name, you most likely are ecstatic that the person thought you were so special that they remembered your name. I know sometimes it is difficult, I am a girl who is awful at remembering names, but it makes a huge difference.

4. Maintain eye contact. Eye contact shows you are attentive and care about what the other person is saying. If we are trying to make connections, we should put our best foot forward and show that we are caring people who are genuinely interested in what you are saying.

5. Be yourself, as cheesy as that sounds. You want someone to like you, for you! Try to connect, but remember that sometimes not everyone is going to you. That’s just the way it is.

Have fun along the way! Hopefully, next time you are meeting new people you will use some of these tips and be shocked at all the connections you will make ;)

A fun-loving, beauty-lover, coffee-addict that never thought she would write for fun, or be good at it! Always passionate, positive, and personable. :))