10 Facts about Ru Paul’s Drag Race (and Ru Paul)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Babson chapter.

Ru Paul’s Drag Race is a television show produced by VH1 and hosted by Ru Paul, in which drag queens compete for the title of America’s Next Drag Superstar, a cash prize of $100,000 and a one-year supply of cosmetics. Many times underestimated, the show is very tough. Before being crowned, drag queens have to undergo sewing, dancing, and singing challenges, where they must show elevated levels of creativity and refinement. Here are some other facts about the show and about Ru:

1. Every episode there is a famous appearance. Celebrities that have been on the show include, Lady Gaga, Ariana Grande, Meghan Trainor, Khloe Kardashian, Kesha, Mel B, Olivia Newton-John, and Raven Symone.

2. At the end of every episode, two queens have to lip sync ‘FOR THEIR LIVES’ (Ru Paul’s voice), i.e. they have to lip sync and show everything they can in order to convince Ru Paul that they deserve to stay in the program.

3. Every once in while, Ru Paul reunites the best queens from the seasons and have them compete again on the show called Ru Paul’s Drag Race All Stars. The third one will be released this winter.

4. Bet you didn’t know this, it takes Ru six hours to get ready for the show.

5. There have been 9 seasons of Ru Paul’s Drag Race already, not including the two seasons of All Stars.

6. 113 queens have already competed on the show.

7. Every Ru Paul’s Drag Race winner has released music, except for the queen Bianca Del Rio.

8. Ru Paul’s Drag Race has already won 2 Emmy Awards and Ru Paul has won 2 for hosting it. Ps.: It received 8 Noms in 2017.

9. Ru Paul sold his idea for the show in his first pitch meeting.

10. Ru Paul got married to his boyfriend of 23 years, Georges LeBar, in January of this year (2017).

???? Founder of Her Campus Babson. Lover of stories. Over drinker of coffee. College student interested in the intersection of business, tech, and creativity.