This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Recently, I have been obsessively playing Pokemon GO. I re-downloaded it back at the beginning of November, and thought that I wouldn’t be too engaged just because I never got very far back in 2016. However, this was not the case. My boyfriend is an avid Pokemon enthusiast (one of the things I love about him, Pokemon just being one of his niche interests) and really helped me succeed in the game. There are plenty of poke-stops and poke-gyms around campus, so it makes it really easy to stock up on items and also battle people. There are so many pokemon that spawn on campus as well, it makes it really fun to catch ‘em all! 

About two weeks ago, we ran into three other students on campus who happened to be wandering around looking for pokemon on campus. We walked around with them for a while and helped each other find and catch things, and then they invited us to their Discord. It was pretty cool, considering we felt very alone in the POGO world here at Augustana. Then, we mentioned that a professor on campus also played Pokemon GO, and one of the students happened to have this professor for class. So, the professor also joined the Discord server! 

Over the past two weeks, we have managed to bump the server numbers up to around twenty people! It’s been really cool to complete high-level raids with friends on campus. If you are looking for something to get you outside and walking around, or just something to possibly get addicted to, I highly recommend Pokemon GO, and I also recommend joining our server! (Shameless Plug)

Here is a fun last-minute tip: 

Want to spot a Pokemon GO player? The best way to find them is to look around for people walking slowly, stopping at random, and swiping upwards on their phone. It is even easier when it’s freezing out, and only crazy people would be sitting in the cold, so you can probably assume they’re Pokemon players. Happy Poke-hunting!

Bryn Hansmeier

Augustana '25

I am a junior at Augustana College! I am a double major in management and marketing, as well as a double minor in communication studies and philosophy. I am on the pre-law track. I am a co-correspondent in HerCampus!