This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As a Quad Cities native, I thought it would be fun to share some of my favorite small businesses in the area (in no particular order.) Some may be well known and relatively popular, while others are some hidden gems. With the economic hit, so many of these small businesses took during this spring and summer due to COVID-19, they need our love and support now more than ever! I hope you enjoy some of the QC’s finest, and smallest, as much as I do!

1. What a Gem! The name says it all! This little boutique is the perfect mix of old and new with antique drinkware, books, and other home goods, along with new accessories, clothing, and gifts anyone would love sprinkled throughout the store. The shop is located in Davenport, not too far from campus, and is a great place to shop for unique finds to spruce up your living space!

2. Iron & Grain. A relatively new, and one of my all-time favorite coffee shops. Located in East Moline with some of the tastiest drinks and baked goods, you’ll be stopping by or hanging out on the patio every weekend! Think of the craziest coffee combination you could come up with and this place already has it! From a chocolate-covered strawberry cold brew float to a fizzy blueberry lemonade, or any regular coffee choice in between, there is bound to be something you’ll love. This coffee shop is located in an up and coming plaza, along with Jennie’s Boxcar, Mainstream Architects, and the Rust Belt. With the cool industrial vibes you get, you’ll want to check out the whole strip! The owner is also an Augie alum!

3. Unimpaired. Calling all my girls under 21! Here is the Quad Cities’ first dry bar. Unimpaired is brand new and oh so cute. It features everything from fruity drinks to gin and tonic, captain and coke, and tequila sunrises—all without alcohol! If you aren’t 21 yet or don’t want to worry about getting an Uber, but still want to enjoy a night out with fun drinks and your favorite gal pals, Unimpaired is the perfect place for you to check out!

4. Crafted QC. Another shop located in Davenport with some of the best art finds! It is an artsy and cozy place that will make you feel like you’re not in the Quad Cities. But wait, there’s more! The shop is full of art made by local artists, as well as pieces that are made right there in the store! It’s the perfect place to find a gift for a loved one, or maybe even treat yourself!

5. Freighthouse Farmers Market. While this is technically not a small business, I had to include it due to the many small and family-owned businesses that show up every weekend and set up shop, rain or shine. I personally think this is one of the best parts of the QC! I have never gone and not walked away without my arms full of goodies. There are so many different vendors selling jams, candles, handmade jewelry, fresh-cut flowers, homegrown produce, farm fresh eggs, and cheese curds! This is such an easy way to support local businesses even if it’s just a bouquet of flowers or a container of California peaches.

Hi everyone! I'm Annalise and I am a junior at Augustana! I am majoring in Communication Sciences and Disorders and minoring in Psychology! I hope to become an SLP and work with geriatrics or in a hospital when I'm done with school. When I'm not studying you can find making coffee at the Brew by the Slough, reading, or spending time outside. I love hiking and fishing, but also love checking out the latest beauty trends. Follow me on insta @ annalise_connolly!!
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!