Career

Twenty Lessons I Have Learned in Twenty Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As I am now entering my twentieth year of life, I have spent a lot of time reflecting on my teenage years and adolescence. Although it is an unpopular opinion, I have absolutely loved growing up and becoming closer to the version of the person that I am meant to be. Throughout all of the hardships and challenges, I know now that everything happens for a reason and that everything in life has taught me a lesson of importance along the way. Here are twenty lessons that I have learned in my first twenty years of life.

1. It is normal to outgrow people. 

People are constantly changing, and sometimes that means that two people aren’t meant to be affiliated anymore. It is going to be okay. You will always find people that feel like home.

2. Discover your morals and values and stick to them.

Being respected is much more important than being liked. Figure out what is important to you and work to reflect them in your daily life.

3. You have your whole life to diet, your youth is not the time to do it.

Seriously, just eat what you want and eat when you’re hungry. There are many more important things to worry about than a number on a scale or your pants size.

4. Say “I’m sorry” but don’t overuse the phrase.

Don’t apologize for things that are out of your control just to make someone else feel better.

5. Your friends will have the biggest influence on you. Make sure you are choosing them wisely.

Surround yourself with people who share the same values, or else there will be consequences. Choose people who radiate positivity.

6. Nothing you do is weird. Odds are, someone else has already done/thought the same thing.

Social media has proven to me that I have never had an original thought in my life, which means I have never been an outcast after all. Keep doing what you’re doing.

7. Put your ego aside and be the bigger person.

Don’t be childish when it comes to tough situations or conversations. Hold your head up high and be accountable.

8. There is no rush to have your life figured out.

If someone says they know what they are doing with the rest of their life then they are lying. Nobody really knows, no matter how much we try to convince ourselves that we do.

9. Stand up for yourself in every situation.

You are your own best friend, so start acting like it.

10. You have always been beautiful.

Seriously, one day you will look back at even your worst picture and realize that there was nothing wrong with it at all. Love your body the way it deserves to be loved. 

11. Never settle for less than you deserve.

Self-explanatory. You deserve all that life has to offer.

12. Let things go.

Holding a grudge is a lot of work, and will only make you feel worse. 

13. There is absolutely no point in worrying about what other people think of you.

You are only a side character in the lives of other people; you will not constantly consume their thoughts. Worry about yourself and about making yourself a better person.

14. Just be yourself. Changing who you are to impress other people will never be worth it.

Acting like yourself will attract others with the same energy. Always be yourself.

15. Trust has to be earned.

Don’t allow others to convince you that they are trustworthy if they haven’t proven themselves. It is far too easy to get hurt.

16. Change what you don’t like.

Life is far too short to stay where you are unhappy. No matter how big or small, you are in charge of your own happiness so do whatever it takes to achieve that.

17. Own up to your mistakes.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting that you made a mistake. It is only going to make you grow even stronger as a person.

18. You will never encounter a challenge too big

You are capable of overcoming anything that life throws your way. Don’t back down just because something seems difficult in the moment.

19. Be grateful for where you are and how far you’ve come.

Life is very precious. Don’t forget to reflect on how you’ve grown.

20. Choose to love and love deeply

Humans were born to love others. Be a representative of how great it can be to love. 

Rachel Murray

Augustana '23

Rachel is a third-year student at Augustana College majoring in Accounting and Finance. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and watching documentaries. Instagram: @rach.murrayy