This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Yes, talk radio can be a bit much when you’ve grown up on long car rides with only Laura Ingram playing over the speakers, but I have the cure and it is beautiful. If you are a little behind on this entertainment crazy, Podcasts are talk radio that can be downloaded and streamed from any mobile device, as well as on their respected websites. Television hosts, YouTubers, and even people who have no idea what they’re doing have found a profitable way to hold a platform for people on the go. Podcasts are a great (free!!!) way to learn, hear opinions and news, and to take hours off of your drive to grandma’s for Christmas dinner. But with the influx of hosts, it’s hard to file through and find the best of the best. These podcasts are all hosted by strong, opinionated women and are sure to make you even more of the problem cousin than you probably already are. Here are the five that are sure to make your sexist uncle mad during the holidays.

5. The Black Tapes

For those who need a good spook on a biweekly basis, “The Black Tapes” is for you. Follow Alex Reagan on her docudrama journey as she moves from sceptic unbeliever to full on demon attractor. These episodes are not for those who already have trouble sleeping at night because this show will have you seeing life in the shadows around you Have your aunt listen to the unsound and boy will you be adding a little fire to your dinner conversation. Is it real or not real? Not even Katniss Everdeen has figured it out yet. 

4. Serial

Of course, the classic. The one that made everyone want to fall into the world of podcasts in the first place, “Serial” is the podcast to start your obsession. In the two current seasons we hear hard evidence, not so hard scepticism, and interviews with those involved in two cases that made national headlines. Not only do listeners get a taste of the past, but our host, Sarah Koenig, takes us into the courtroom as one trial is brought back to the stand. Now I’m not saying anyone is innocent, but…

3. Science Vs.

Need some facts to back up your marijuana argument? How about for the gspot argument with that boy that somehow made his way in your WAGS class? Here’s the podcast for you. Hosted by Wendy Zuckerman, they put facts against fiction using hard science. Any and every topic imaginable is taken from the streets and to the lab as some of the most controversial topics argued over Facebook are given a look. Blissful ignorance is now a thing of the past.

2. Ladies Who Lunch

Keeping it classy while breaking down gender norms, Kat and Ingrid have got it down. Mostly known for their work on YouTube, they both are confortable with being 100% unappologetic. With a snack in one hand and a topic in the other, they’ll give you the information needed to tell that uncle I mentioned earlier to step off kindly. From coverage of the presidential debate to what exactly the difference between a kink and a fetish really is. This is your ultimate book-club-wine-mom podcast.

1. MY FAVORITE MURDER

If “Ladies Who Lunch” is your wine-mom podcast, this is your vodka-aunt podcast. Also known as the “F**k Word Murder Mystery Show”, this gem will have you becoming more open about that secret love for true crime you’ve been hoarding all these years. Karen and Georgia take you on a journey each episode with advice like “stay out of the forest” as well as who-done-it discussion over real murders in history. Do you think Jonbenet was killed by the owl on the staircase? I’M sorry…

Maissie is currently studying English, Creative Writing, and Theatre Arts at Augustana College, where she is a writer for the on campus chapter of Her Campus. You can also see her leading as co-captain of the varsity volleyball team and watching Bob's Burgers with her sisters of the local social sorority Chi Omega Gamma. Her writing can also be found for the Augustana Observer's sports section.
Augustana Contributor