This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

I think it is safe to say that we have all had that epiphany when listening to a great song and finding a new favorite moment. As I have been listening to my ‘Michelle’s Christmas Favs!’ playlist, I can’t help but pick out my absolute favorite things to hear during the Christmas season. 

The third best moment in Christmas carols is the line: I like to think of it as opportunistic. Michael Buble and Idina Menzel sing the Baby It’s Cold Outside duet. Their version is far more superior than any other version in my opinion… including the original. When Menzel says “Ah, you’re very pushy you know?” and Buble replies with “I like to think of it as opportunistic.” I can’t help but giggle at his charming reply. 

The next best moment is from Last Christmas when they whisper Merry Christmas. Wham! adds so much personality to the song in a unique and comical way with just one average line simply whispered.

My number one, absolute favorite thing to hear this time of year is Joy! Joy! Exactly three minutes and 38 seconds into Mariah Carey’s Joy to the World, she does a beautiful crescendo as she gets higher to hit the notes singing Joy Joy. 

If you would like to listen to these songs, feel free to click the links in their titles! Merry Christmas. (I hope you read that in a whisper!)

A little background about who I am: I am an Augustana College graduate and currently pursuing my masters at the Missouri School of Journalism. My passions include writing, baking, and scrapbooking! If I'm not selling insurance or in class, you can find me in a hammock with reading, writing or meditating. About my goals: I believe that everyone has a voice and I would like to do what I can to help amplify those positive messages. One day, I hope to host my own TV show like Ellen or Oprah! As always, Stay Tuned & Happy Reading!
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020