This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

You Can Commemorate an Influential Person, Place, or Event

Being born in March and having a twin, daffodils have always been my favorite flower -as the March birth-flower- and represent the intimacy of my sister’s friendship. After living side-by-side for eighteen years (sharing clothes, friends, food, and beds), my sister and I moved to separate colleges. Our lifetime of sharing had abruptly ended, we spent one last moment sharing the experience of our first tattoos: our favorite flower.

If You Can Handle a Cat Scratch, You Can Handle Most Tattoos

I had gotten my first tattoo on my right ankle, expecting an overabundance of blood flowing down my foot and the feeling of broken bones. My twin sister had sat in the chair next to me; she had wanted to go first, and we were freshly eighteen. With a fear of needles since her childhood, my sister began to feel woozy and decided I could go first (how considerate). The stencil was pressed onto my leg, the artist’s utensil moved closer to my skin, and I jumped! It was only a sharpie to define the line work. Finally, I laid down comfortably on the chair -my foot entirely in the artist’s lap- and the needle pierced my skin. All I felt was a cat scratch: a slight tear of the skin, a pain gone in seconds. However if your dead-set on a ribcage tattoo, your experience will definitely be different.

You Can Create Your Own Permanent Personal Expression

As a watercolor artist, I have always been amazed with color and form. The most influential piece of work I have created earned me a $4000 scholarship. With this painting changing the course of my college decision and career, it marked the starting point of my adulthood. Suddenly, I defined myself as a true artist and wanted to display my talent and hard work to everyone I interacted with. Boldly, I recreated my painting on the center of my thigh. Displaying an abstract image of a hand and representing my favorite song,“Indie Cindy” by Pixies, I always describe myself as having three hands (although one of them doesn’t have much use other than aesthetics).

Erica Amdal

Augustana '22

My name is Erica Amdal. Aiming to major in Anthropology, I am intrigued by the values in societies and how humans are interconnected yet immensely diverse. I strive to immerse myself in different cultures to gain more insight on the colorful lives of other humans. Coinciding with my desire to study different cultures and their unique attributes, I am motivated and intrigued by the ability of people to interpret art in ways that adhere to their own lives, which influences my stylized approach in my own work.
Augustana Contributor