This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As a young adult living through numerous historical events, trying to go to college during a pandemic, and overall experiencing far too many controversies throughout my lifetime, it is not a surprise that so many people in my generation feel desensitized to the world around us. Mental health and the motivation to get on with our days can fade sometimes, but the important part is understanding how to cope with the hard times. When this happens, and I forget how to feel human, there are a few things that remind me that I am alive:

• Being greeted by my dog when I walk through the front door
  • Blasting pretty much any Florence + the Machine songs (but my favs are Shake it Out & Never Let You Go) while dancing around a room
  • Watching a sunset during summer
  • Crossing off the last item on my to-do list. Enough said on that one.
  • Looking at old pictures & realizing just how far I have come
  • Laying in the grass on a warm sunny day and feeling the sun on my skin
  • Running to hug a friend that I haven’t seen in a long time
  • Riding a bike down a big hill (lol)
  • Being surrounded by a group of my friends when we’re all in good moods

There are few things better in life than the realization that serotonin is coursing through your body and you can’t stop yourself from smiling. If you are experiencing a long period of forgetting what that feels like – no worries! The feeling of being alive can come differently for a lot of people, whether you are more of a homebody or an adrenaline junky there will always be something that brings you the best feelings, you just have to find it!

Rachel Murray

Augustana '23

Rachel is a third-year student at Augustana College majoring in Accounting and Finance. Her hobbies include reading, writing, and watching documentaries. Instagram: @rach.murrayy