This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

When I think about Thanksgiving, I immediately smell the freshly cooked food that took hours to prepare. I picture my loud, enthusiastic family sitting around the dinner table conversing and laughing. I feel relaxed and joyful. But above all, I feel thankful, hence Thanksgiving. It is the one day out of the entire year that as a society we flood each other with gratitude. That’s its purpose: to show one another how thankful we are for the people, experiences, and things we have in our lives.  

But what about every other day of the year? What about those days that you’re feeling down and lonely and not so grateful for your life in the moment? I think it’s important to carry on those feelings of gratitude and express them day in and day out, not just on Thanksgiving. If we continue those acts throughout the year, we will be much less likely to have those negative thoughts and feelings. According to numerous studies done, it is proven that practicing gratitude regularly has many health benefits such as increased energy, motivation, and more positive moods. Gratitude also makes people more likely to be generous, productive, and satisfied with their lives. 

So as we approach the holidays and the joyous day of Thanksgiving, try to be mindful of how you can carry out the traditions we celebrate into your daily lives. Spread all the love you have to those that you hold close to your heart on Thanksgiving, and every other day of the year!

Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020