This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As always, the little things in life are sometimes the big things. Let’s converse about tea versus coffee. Sometimes it is about what you need that day and sometimes it’s about what you want. Many people try to pick one side of these two versatile drinks. However, once we talk about both—I can confidently say that you will most likely turn to #teamteaANDcoffee!

First off, tea is quite an underrated drink. Despite all of its health benefits, it also is incredibly tasteful and unique. Although tea can be on the more particular and less appealing side when dissected at the surface level- there is much more to it when dug deeper. Some common and well-known facts about tea include the fact that it reduces the risk of heart disease, helps your metabolism rate, regulates your glucose levels, lowers your risk of some cancers such as breast, lung, and prostate, and it is great for your skin health and your arteries. Tea has exquisite benefits to it and there are more than I can count. On a more fun note, tea is varietal in how you drink and what you drink. First, we will start with the ‘what’ of tea; meaning the diverse amount of flavors and kinds. There is Green, White, Black, Oolong, Yellow, Chamomile, and Hibiscus tea which all come from the same tea plant called Camellia Sinensis. With these main types of tea, we can now get into the ‘how’ of tea. You can choose to enjoy your tea in several different ways. You can experiment with different eater types such as tap water, spring water, seltzer water, and more, or experiment with your water and leaf ratio depending on if you prefer a lighter or stronger flavor and while doing either of those you can choose to try out different water temperatures. You can have your tea hot, warm, or cold. This leads me to even more ways to have your tea. You can add milk, honey, lemonade, sugar, or lemons to your tea as well. Hot, iced, blended, cold-brewed, and more- it is all up to you and easily available. The most fun thing about tea is that you can also have it at any time of day for any purpose. Tea can be had right before you go to bed, right after you wake up, mid-afternoon pick-me-up, evening calm-me-down, post-meal drink, during meal drink, or even a pre-meal beverage. You can even make your own blend of tea! The options are endless and tea is limitless. Drinking tea, although such a nonchalant concept at the surface level, can be quite enhancing to one’s lifestyle. A cup of tea makes everything better

Next, let’s talk about our other friend that I am sure many of us college students hold near and dear to our hearts—coffee! Let us all come together and realize as long as there is coffee in the world, how bad can things really be? This says something within itself—that coffee quite literally holds the ability to sponsor your daily mood, enhance your day, put a smile on your face, activate and satisfy all five of your five senses, bring people together, and give you energy. First, let’s review the plentiful ways to portray coffee. I would say that a coffee flavor wheel of adjectives would be described as follows: fresh, flowery, fruity, herby, nutty, caramelly, chocolaty, bitter, earthy, scorchy, salty, and sweet. There are many more flavors to choose from but these were just a few ways to outline coffee. Despite all the immaculate and never-ending flavors of coffee, just like tea, you can also take your coffee in many different ways. An outline of brewing styles would be hot, iced, latte, cappuccino, cold brew, macchiato, americano, drip, and several more. This is astounding; the range of flavors and the multiform array of ways to take your coffee. This dark, magical substance does not need deep dissection—as it speaks for itself and holds a grand, upstanding, consistent reputation. Many people can agree that coffee simply makes life better.

Coffee and tea can be supplementary or even complementary to each other. It is all about preference, want, desire, need. They both hold great benefits and are incredibly multifaceted things in this world. I hope I can be the first to now officially welcome you to #teamteaANDcoffee! Make it a tea-riffic day and go grab (or make) yourself a quality cup of joe. 

Kourtney Troha

Augustana '23

[Augustana College 2023 Elementary Education Major] Positivity, kindness, and simplicity- words I live by. My name is Kourtney Troha and my goal is to live with intent. Writing gives me a gateway into that as well as a purpose to my everyday life. I believe in always finding the good in everyday. I hope to reach people through my writing and to appreciate the little things as much as I can. I find joy and peace in making others happy. Some of my interests are Golfing, Writing, Cooking & Baking, and I love dogs and animals. I am excited to see what the future holds. I love meeting new people and gaining new perspectives! Opportunities to connect- Instagram: @kourttroha Vsco: @kourttro
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!