photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash
Wellness

Surviving the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Ah, the holidays. They’re advertised as a time of bliss, joy, and love, but can often be an absolute nightmare. Worries and expectations can really bog down the season, but Thanksgiving is over, so there are only two more hurdles to go. 

Make Time for Yourself

I’m far more introverted than the rest of my family, so a lot of the time holiday commotion makes me anxious and gets on my nerves. While some social settings will be unavoidable, it’s important to set aside time for yourself if the holidays stress you out. 

Don’t Be Materialistic

Just to be clear, I enjoy recieving gifts as much as anyone else, but being overly-concerned with material items has the potential to cheapen your relationships with others. The quantity/expensiveness of a gift being given or recieved doesn’t define anything. Instead, focus on the intangible relationships with loved ones, be they family or friends. 

Think Ahead, But Not Too Much

I’m an overthinker. Given the chance, I’ll overthink years ahead and worry myself into a hole. Needless to say, overthining doesn’t mix well with holidays, but thinking ahead short-term does. Unless there’s a definite event in the far future, try not to think more than a week ahead so as not to be weighted down by plans. 

In short, the coming season might be rough, but caring for yourself is always the top priority. 

Madison Holt

Augustana '22

English Major at Augustana College.
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020