This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

The end of term is a place of little to no motivation, utter exhaustion, and at least 900 things you should be doing other than watching your fourth Netflix show. It is easy to fall into a slump of rushing through things, or not starting them at all at this point in the term. Here are some methods I’ve found helpful to stay just as motivated as you were week one.

1. Bite Off Small Chunks

If you start with something small you will find yourself less overwhelmed.  Have a big paper to write? Try starting that first paragraph and then go get yourself a snack. Once you get one paragraph started try for the next one. Do this a few days before it is due, and by the time you get to the night before all you will be doing is giving it those last few touches. This also gives you more time in your day for other things. One paragraph may take a half hour, but a whole paper could take a few hours. If you split this up, then you will find you have time for the other things that you need to get done. 

2. Go on an Adventure

The weeks have been adding up and all you have been doing is class, work, homework repeat. Take time away to do something different for an hour or to. It could be finding a new trail to take a walk on or going to a new coffee shop. But, doing something outside of your normal routine will keep your mind stimulated and interested.

3. Exercise

I can hear you groaning. It is important though, you need those endorphins to keep you happy. Get up out of your desk and go for a quick jog or lift before you start more homework. If you keep moving so will your brain!

4. Relaxation

Take time to just sit and breathe. At this point in the term you will find yourself running from class to class, meeting to meeting and by the time you can sit down to breathe it is 12 a.m. and you haven’t started your homework. Take a second when you hop in your car in between classes to just breathe 3 times. Then re-center and continue with your day. It may seem tedious, but you will find that things seem less stressful when you take more time for yourself. 

5. Do Things for You

Go shopping. Go tanning. Go running. Go, go, go. Buy that coffee. Reward yourself for getting out of bed. Buy that new scarf you like, you went to class today. Treat yourself for surviving the weeks. Give yourself things to look forward to. The more you do things for yourself the more you will want to continue pushing toward your goals. You are important, taking care of you should be a top priority. Don’t starve her of rewards when she has made it this far!

Ana Warkocki

Augustana '21

I'm Ana, I am currently studying Psychology and Communication Studies at Augustana College. I enjoy writing, photography, and listening to Indie music.
Augustana Contributor