This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Studying abroad is an experience many students on campus are fortunate enough to embark on. These trips usually relate to a student’s major or personal passions, often offering internship and unique course opportunities. While these trips do attract plenty of students, there are still those who may hesitate to study abroad.

How can a student become more open to studying abroad?

The easiest way to tell if you are suited to study abroad is to follow your intuition.  

Ask yourself the following questions:

• “How will I benefit from this travel experience?”
  • “Am I emotionally and physically stable enough to study abroad?”
  • “What resources are available for my use once I am there?”
  • “Does this study abroad experience align with my financial goals?”
  • “Are the courses being offered fulfilling any credits that I need?”

The key is to think and plan ahead. Interest yourself in any and every detail that worries or excites you. If there are any circumstances holding you back, will it be more troublesome than rewarding for you to study in a new environment? Consider your personal needs in order to determine if studying away is meant for you. Don’t necessarily write traveling off because you are nervous!

Is studying abroad meant for everyone?

Studying abroad is definitely not meant for everyone. Some students find comfort in a consistent, familiar living arrangement, so the uncertainty of being in a new area can be overwhelming. Studying abroad always comes with risks, just as it comes with its own benefits. Do not feel pressured to study abroad just because your peers are! If you are truly interested in traveling and exploring a new country or city, you will get to it eventually!

How can a student overcome the fear of being in a new environment?

Being in a new setting is scary. It is crucial to do research before studying abroad, not only to build a sense of security, but to interest yourself in sights or experiences that can get you excited for the trip. Do not sit idly by! Use your time before traveling for school as a way to become acquainted with where you will be.

What are the main benefits of studying abroad?

1. Adaptability

Studying away for school challenges students to adjust to unfamiliar surroundings. This skill is especially important in the workforce.

2.  Stronger social skills

Many students who study abroad come into contact with various languages, accents, or unfamiliar slang. These trips encourage students to respectfully observe and interact with people different from them, which ultimately results in heightened confidence in social settings.

Perhaps the most intimidating factor of studying away is being away from loved ones. The familiarity of life is comforting, but even more heartwarming will be the experiences students can share with family and friends once they return home. Study away trips nudge students to form friendships with fellow classmates who are traveling alongside them.

Studying abroad is more than just doing homework in a different state or country. It is more than just taking pictures in front of tourist attractions. This opportunity is often one that inspires students academically and personally. Students not only learn the curriculum offered on these trips, but they are more likely to develop deeper understandings of various cultures. The adventures to come with these trips are often unknown, but nonetheless worth the risk!

An English and Communications Major who is passionate about creating and reading literature.
Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.