This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As the seasons change, so do our lifestyles and mindsets. With summer comes new beginnings, new emotions, new activities, and new weather. Whereas, with the fall comes a fresh wardrobe switch, fresh festivities, fresh weather and smells, and different feelings. As these seasons and concepts change it is also important to stay on top of our personal well-being and up to date with our self-care. Staying in tune with who we are, our emotions and what is in our best interest at heart is optimal for one’s mental health. Self-care is providing for yourself and expressing to the world the best version of yourself. Staying positive and consistent with this concept will not be a linear process, there will be ups and downs and that is natural. Rather it is an added benefit to all the love, care, and effort you do your best to put out to the world every day already. When you take time for yourself, you are essentially taking time to embrace your flaws, reflect upon your mindset, take your power back, and appreciate the little things. However, it is important to recognize that we all need a little help sometimes and that is beautifully okay. Here is some insight into how we can maintain the best versions of ourselves through some cardinal self-care tips. 

First and foremost, prioritize sleep. Sleeping is the best and most simplistic way to give yourself some love and care. Sleeping can hold a vital effect on your mental state in regards to your emotions and moods as well as your body physically. Free yourself of distractions and provide for yourself remedies in order to get the best and most quality sleep or even power nap that is needed for you. In addition to engaging with your sleep routine and frequency, it is important to nourish your body in other ways as well. One way to do this is to consume savory food. Eating right and treating ourselves brings immediate benefit to our brains mindset and alertness and gives us the energy we need to conquer the day or night. Some of the most amazing self-care is simply sleeping and eating delightfully. 

Furthermore, another tip could be to go outside or to just appreciate nature. Ever head of the phrase, Stop and smell the roses? That phrase is meaningful and very applicable in thought of taking care of yourself. To stop and smell the roses is to take a break from the chaos of life, acknowledge the little things, and put forth acknowledgment to your favorite activities and optimize free time. This can help to bring you peace of mind.

Lastly, it is essential to find the good in everyday life. It is commonly understood and accepted that not everyday is going to be good, but that it is important to find the good in every day. This is what will provide for you a more positive mindset and positive environment as well as improve your overall quality of life. Doing your best to maintain a good outlook holds substantial improvements and connection to self-care and self-love. 

Practicing self-care is not an easy task and everyone is consumed with several other things in their life such as their job, school, family/ relationships, technology, and so much more. However, we need to normalize putting ourselves on our schedule. Find what works for you and incorporate time for yourself. It is crucial that we are gentle with ourselves and value the person that we are because everyone is doing the best they can. The most important relationship we have is the one with yourself and I encourage everyone to adopt self-care as the seasons change this year, especially during these trying times.

Kourtney Troha

Augustana '23

[Augustana College 2023 Elementary Education Major] Positivity, kindness, and simplicity- words I live by. My name is Kourtney Troha and my goal is to live with intent. Writing gives me a gateway into that as well as a purpose to my everyday life. I believe in always finding the good in everyday. I hope to reach people through my writing and to appreciate the little things as much as I can. I find joy and peace in making others happy. Some of my interests are Golfing, Writing, Cooking & Baking, and I love dogs and animals. I am excited to see what the future holds. I love meeting new people and gaining new perspectives! Opportunities to connect- Instagram: @kourttroha Vsco: @kourttro
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!