This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

It is a common thing to fall back on the phrase, “seasonal depression,” when really it is just life; pure, authentic, simple, complicated, easy, hard, exhausting, and uplifting life itself, in all its forms. It is important to remind yourself that while the seasons change, we do too. It is never too late to accept that we are forever growing, changing, and blossoming into new versions of ourselves for better or for worse. After all, everything in life fluctuates and that is okay. Whatever the case is, life is ever-changing and we are ever-evolving beings. This is an immeasurable blessing. There is no growth without change. There is no change without loss. And change is inevitable. Just like there are no rainbows without a storm, there are no flowers without rain, and there is no light without darkness. Normalizing seasonal depression is an attempt at trying to accept things the way they are instead of dealing with our problems/feelings/emotions head-on. Accepting change and making the most of what we have at any moment in time is essential to our quality of life. Let us create a mindset that when the leaves are falling, you are not falling apart, that when it gets colder, your heart is not getting colder with it, and when it gets darker, your thoughts do not turn dark as well. As any type of feeling you experience, positive or negative, good or bad, is always validated, it is still important to consistently remain in tune with yourself and try your best to push through. We are stronger than we may think. In all seasons, let us be able to remember to get more sunshine, adequate sleep, hydrate, exercise, and schedule self-care. Wholly, adaptation, revision, change, and growth, are all concepts apart of each individual’s life. To reiterate—just like the weather, people change and things change. Keep in mind wherever you go, however you feel, whatever the weather, bring your own sunshine. Sunshine is healthy, rain is refreshing, the wind gives you direction and kisses your face, snow beautifies everything it covers and brings fun along with it. Bad weather is no longer a valid statement, rather different kinds of good weather are more like it. Believe in you and remember to stop and smell the roses.

Kourtney Troha

Augustana '23

[Augustana College 2023 Elementary Education Major] Positivity, kindness, and simplicity- words I live by. My name is Kourtney Troha and my goal is to live with intent. Writing gives me a gateway into that as well as a purpose to my everyday life. I believe in always finding the good in everyday. I hope to reach people through my writing and to appreciate the little things as much as I can. I find joy and peace in making others happy. Some of my interests are Golfing, Writing, Cooking & Baking, and I love dogs and animals. I am excited to see what the future holds. I love meeting new people and gaining new perspectives! Opportunities to connect- Instagram: @kourttroha Vsco: @kourttro