This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Reminder to Cherish Your Sister

Being a sister is both a blessing and definitely a curse…but mostly a blessing, I promise! Your sister can be your confidant, the person you vent to or take your anger out on, the one you complain about your parents to, the girl you get advice about relationships from, and the list goes on and on. However, I think most people take having a sister, whether older or younger, for granted. We know they are always there, so we forget to cherish them day in and day out.

I speak from personal experience. My sister is my person,my inspiration and my motivator, yet I forget to tell her how much she means to me sometimes or I take our ability to be there for each other for granted. There are a million and one reasons why we should all cherish our sisterhood, but these three hold the most value to me personally.

1. She knows almost EVERYTHING about your upbringing.

Your sister knew you before* the glow up. Maybe before you got your braces off, before you knew what you wanted to do with the rest of your life, and maybe even before you found yourself. She probably had to deal with the same nagging parents or the constant nosey relatives. My sister was there through my irrational tantrums, my happiest of moments, and my darkest of times. As cheesy as it sounds, she probably knows me better than I know myself sometimes and that is something I always want to cherish.                                                                                                                                                                                                 

2. She doesn’t HAVE to sugarcoat anything…

Being a sister means you have unlimited get out of jail free cards…right? Ok, maybe not; however, being a sister in my family means you get the truth and nothing but the truth. Yes, that dress is unflattering, no you should not go on a date with him, sure you can borrow my top if you bring it back and yes, I will hurt you if you eat my leftovers. Sugarcoating is for “just friends”, sisters are WAY past that. Even when it is something you do not want to hear, your sister will tell you because it is something you need to hear. My sister is someone who no matter what will have my best interests at heart so I know the advice is not manipulated or biased, it is honest. Honesty is one of the best qualities a sister can can. You might hate them at the moment, but you will secretly and internally thank them later.                             

3. She is your FOREVER friend.

Maybe the most important reason we should cherish our sisters is reason number three. Your sister, whether you like it or not, will always be your sister. The fights you get into or the topics you disagree on will come and go, but your ability to be truly sisters is permanent. My sister is someone whose side I will never leave nor will I allow her to leave mine. Yes, my sister can be overbearing or super frustrating at times, but I know if I am ever in trouble mentally, physically, emotionally, academically, athletically, etc. she will be there in a heart beat with an encouraging text, a reassuring phone call or a personal hug.

Not everyone in the world is given the opportunity to be a sister. If I did not have my sister, yes, I would live my life like everyone who doesn’t have one, but it sure wouldn’t be as fun. I am so lucky to have my sister in my life and sometimes I need a reminder of that…I hope this can act as a reminder for you all as well!