This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

A movie from the 1970s does not normally snag my attention, just because we are so consumed in the movies that are being produced in the present day. Good Will Hunting was a movie I had never even heard of until my best friend recommended it to me. I sat down and had no expectations for the movie, and now it is one of my favorites. 

Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Robin Williams star in an eye-opening film with an unforgettable plot. The brightest student at America’s top university is really the kid who sweeps the floors. Will Hunting is a reckless, working-class genius who is oblivious to life’s lessons. Will’s only hope is a psychology professor, who could be the only man who can reach him after one too many run-ins with the law. Will is finally forced to confront his past, and he learns that the only person who can save him is himself. Good Will Hunting is timeless since it discusses issues that most people are unable to discuss. Dreams, fears, loves, dreams, flaws, heartbreak, loss, family, and friendship are all part of the human experience. It is not easy for anyone to come to terms with all of these terms, but the moment you are able to be when your life could potentially move forward in a positive way, as we see in the film. The underlying themes behind this movie are the reason why this film is so powerful. Mental Health is something that Will Hunting struggles with, and like many people, they feel as if therapy makes them weak. It took trusting, and pushing for Will to open up his heart and mind, and when he did it changed his life for the better. I cannot recommend this movie enough, not only for an interesting heart-wrenching movie but for an eye-opening experience that can be in relation to many peoples lives. 

Madi Crawford

Augustana '22

My name is Madi Crawford, I am a junior at Augustana College. I am a Communication, Sciences, and Disorders major. For my future, I hope to become a Speech-Language Pathologist, to work with children with disabilities. My overall goal in life, is to constantly bring joy into others. I am passionate about helping others, and the idea of being able to be known as a dependable person. I hope to be able to be a light to many people through my writing. Some of my hobbies include, being around friends, family, exercising, and listening to music.
Olivia Tonietto

Augustana '21

Co-Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana College, studying Communication Sciences and Disorders. Olivia writes for Her Campus with the hope to add to this amazing culture in a unique way by spreading positivity and a different perspective on this beautiful world we live in!