Meet Your Future OBGYN: Val Melo ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Val was one of my first friends at Augie and I have had the privilege of getting to know this amazing woman over the past year. She has a passion for learning and helping others. Not only is Val heavily involved in school as a Pre-med student, but she is a student athlete, volunteers, and is a friendly face around campus everyone looks forward to seeing!

Name: Val Melo

Hometown: Lisle, Illinois

Major(s)/Minor(s): Public health major, bio-chem minor (on Pre-med track)

Campus involvement: Women’s Track and Field, Diversity Chair of the Phi Rho sorority , Búhos (ESL tutoring), ACHOO (Augustana Communitiy Health Outreach Organization, and Pre-Soma (pre-health group)

Why did you choose Augie?

I chose Augie because I’m from a small school where I did have those close relationships with my teachers and I wanted to carry that out in college. I just knew my personality wasn’t one for a big crowd setting. It’s harder for me to stand out in big crowds. It’s easier for me to be who I am in smaller groups of people. And they had awesome financial aid and I could play sports here.

Favorite studying spot on campus:

The tables outside of the fishbowl on the fourth floor of the CSL. 

What’s the greatest thing you’ve learned so far at Augie?

How to build a support system away from home.

What is your dream job?

My dream job is to be an OBGYN and deliver babies and help educate patients on having a holistic view of health.

Fun fact about yourself: 

I dream of having a mango tree and avacado tree.

Do you collect anything?

Dead roses and letters. I know it sounds weird but if you know me you know how sentimental I am. I’m all about the feels and connecting with others on a personal level so letters that have been written to me from my family and friends are treasured by me and are things I will collect and probably keep with me throughout the rest of my life. And as for the roses, I just find them beautiful even when dried up. 

What animal best represents you and why?

I would say mermaid if I could, but I’ll go with dolphin because I am a pisces and I’m meant to be in the ocean.

If you could have one superpower what would it be?

Mind reading. It’d be a dangerous superpower to have but I’d be so curious to see if people I respect and look up to have similar mindsets as me. 

How would you describe yourself in 3 words?

Loving, open-minded, resilient

What makes you happy?

When the people I love are happy.

Who is your role model?

My mom because momma Melo is the greatest good I know and a constant reminder of how much I am blessed. She taught me the importance of loving others, how to be strong willed when appropriate, and how to be an independent thinker 

If you don’t see her in the library studying or running on the track, you can catch Val on Instagram at @vmelooo.

Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.