Meet McKee Jackson ’17

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

A couple weeks ago I had a photoshoot with McKee at Abbey Art Studio (my new fave location for photos)!  I first knew of McKee from our long-time Twitter-mutuals relationship and meeting her in person this one time at Cool Beanz. After hanging out with her during our photoshoot, I wanted to know more about this incredible + iconic human. 

Name: McKee Jackson

Year: Senior      

Hometown: Bloomington, IL

Major(s)/Minor(s): Art & Psychology Major, Women & Gender Studies Minor

Campus Involvement: Fine & Performing Arts Senator for SGA, Sigma Pi Delta Sorority, and works in Financial Aid

So I hear you do art things… Can you talk about your senior art project? Give me the deetz.

My senior show is kinda weird. These last few months, I think I have finally found myself as an artist and gained a lot of confidence. I have these three larger paintings that just hang unstretched. It’s very relaxed and abstract, but also very purposeful. For the longest time, I was so weighed down by concept and I finally stopped looking for a theme and just painted. That has been so insanely beneficial for me. As I am finally coming to terms with my work and my process, I’ve realized what these pieces are about to me. I had always wanted to do something with community, but that “theme” didn’t always fit my work. Now it finally does; these are kind of like maps of relationships I’ve had with different women in my life. There are so many people in this world and we connect on a lot of different levels. It can be hard to navigate, but this is my way of navigating and locating myself within this community that has been built around me and how I’ve left my mark within it as well. It’s really bright, really loud, really McKee. I’m super excited about it.

Speaking of being a senior, what’s been your favorite memory at Augie?

Impossible to pick just one. I am surrounded by a lot of great people. Every day brings new surprises and moments I love.

So…post-grad plans?

Haha, I’m working on it. I’ve been applying for jobs. I haven’t gotten an interview yet, but I’m hopeful! My end goal is to be a parole/probation officer or some sort of caseworker in corrections. I would like to go back to school in about 2 or 3 years and get my masters in counseling. At this point I’m gonna take it easy this summer and keep looking for something that fits. I’ll spend some time with my family, eat good food, get tan, and travel if I don’t find something right away.

If you’re in a bad mood, what’s one thing that can cheer you up no matter what?

Anything that can make me laugh; it doesn’t take much. I really do like to laugh and make others laugh, or sometimes I just need to like pout for a few hours and there is nothing wrong with that, I don’t think.

Fave QCA restaurant?  

QC Pancake house! Oh my gosh, cinnamon roll pancakes and a koffee break skillet, or Blue Cat; they have the best veggie burgers. 

BETTER: Fave QCA coffee shop?

I don’t drink coffee anymore, BUT I like Rozz Tox. They have super cheap PBRs.

Where’s one place in the world you haven’t been to that you want to travel to?

You know, I’m not really sure, actually. I don’t know where I want to go next. Maybe Europe! I’ve been really fortunate to be able to travel to Guatemala and India with Augustana. Last year was the first time I had ever been out of the United States so I have a serious bug. I have also realized how little I’ve seen within North America; there’s so much to see just a few hours away. I would love to be able to just drive.

What’s been your favorite class taken thus far at Augie?

Feminist theory, for sure. Dr. Popple is absolutely amazing and it opened my eyes to a lot of different concepts that I had never thought of before. There are so many different kinds of feminism and like amazing people who have made such an influence on this world.

Why is art important to you?

I’ve realized that art can be used in so many different ways. Art as activism, or for teaching, or even just for pleasure, and I am touched by all of them, I think. There is something about getting lost in looking at a painting or in doing a painting. It is so hard to describe, but it feels like you are getting a little piece of someone when you’re looking at their work and you’re giving yourself to someone when they are looking at yours. I’m not sure if that makes sense, but art is intimate; it makes you vulnerable and I have finally been able to appreciate that.

What is the last song you listened to?

Slide by Calvin Harris. 

Lu is a senior at Augustana College majoring in Graphic Design. She is a Co-Editor in Chief of the Augustana Observer and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Augustana.