Meet LuAnna Gerdemann ’18

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Last Friday, I had the honor to chat with Augustana’s Her Campus co-president, LuAnna Gerdemann. Lu is a senior majoring in Graphic Design. She is excited about her current projects consisting of a radio show and new surprises with Her Campus. After college, she is determined to continue growing in the Graphic Design field. Check it out!

What are Lu’s post-graduation plans? 

I am going back to Denver and I am hoping that I will be able to work in the city. I did an internship there during the summer so, hopefully, there will be some sort of place there for me. Otherwise, I am still searching for jobs but definitely I am 100% going back to Denver. I am excited! 

Do you have any special projects coming up? 

I just started my new radio show “Banana Split.”  It is on WAUG on Thursdays from 7 to 8 pm. Basically, I talk about my experience as an Asian-American (topics and general ideas) and I have some music I play too. It is one of the bigger things I have been working on. We are doing stuff with Her Campus; we are starting a new Feminist Film Series partnership with the Women and Gender Studies department so I am super excited for that. 

What motivates you to go the extra mile on a project or job?

I think it’s my personality. I definitely take after my mom in the way that she is a go-getter.  When I was younger, she told me I was always like, “What’s next, what’s next?” I am always wanting to continually do things. I guess by going that extra mile you always want to do something all the way, not halfway through.

What do you see yourself doing in five years? 

Honestly, I really hope to own my own business someday so I am really working toward that. I would really love to have some sort of design firm, a digital media company. I have some graphic design friends that we have always been talking about doing something together like that so hopefully working on that. Hopefully, my student loans will be mostly paid off.  

What was the most significant experience you had with Her Campus? 

Wow. This year at the Activities Fair it was awesome to see all the people who were interested in it [Her Campus]. I think going through the first year and making all the mistakes that we did, like learning how to run an organization, all that stuff was a big learning experience. Going into this year Melissa and I have been super excited about what is to come for Her Campus and we are really trying to make it as a stable organization before we both leave. Being at the Activities Fair and seeing everybody interested was definitely really cool to me.

What will you miss the most about Augie?

I will miss a lot! I think I will miss just being involved with a lot of things and being able to help in any way I can. Definitely the people — there are so many friends that I made here that I definitely would not have made if I had gone somewhere else. 

International sophomore at Augustana College who is pursuing a career in Political Science and History. Enjoys reading romantic novels, baking pastries, strong Nicaraguan coffee and traveling to get to know new cultures better. Passionate about globalization, women's rights and quality education for everyone. Proud member of Sigma Pi Delta social sorority.  "I would like to be remembered as someone who accomplished useful deeds, and who was a kind and loving person. I would like to leave the memory of a human being with a correct attitude and who did her best to help others."                                                        - Grace Kelly.
Augustana Contributor