This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Wax Charmer is a new LA-based rock band that evolved from the ashes of the five-person group Jubilo Drive. Consisting of Jordan H. Kleinman, Henry Kuckens, and Jacob Lauing, Wax Charmer is set to release their debut EP Suburban Replay on February 21st, 2020. I recently had the opportunity to talk to Kleinman about the band and their music.

Q: How did Wax Charmer evolve from Jubilo Drive?

A: I think with Jubilo Drive, we’d been a band for such a long time and, going through all the different changes that we’d had to experience, we were hitting this new stride of musical companionship in this completely different thing that wasn’t really what Jubilo Drive was when it started or when it rebirthed itself a few years ago so we figured that was kind of a good time to change our personas a little bit and figure out who we were as this trio.

Q: Where did the name “Wax Charmer” come from?

A: I think one of the things that was challenging with having a name like Jubilo Drive was getting people to understand what we were saying in like a loud bar or venue. One of our criteria was that you’d have to be able to spell it if you heard it or say it if you read it and so we kind of picked a lot of words and Wax and Charmer kind of came together and we sort of just knew that it was that.

Q: As of right now, what can you tell us about Suburban Replay?

A: Well it’s our first record as this project and I think it’s our best studio output to date as this group of bandmates. I think there’s a lot of different kinds of themes that come across it ranging from frustration at the way the world is at the moment but there’s also things down to the daily level of not feeling like you’re progressing in some fashion or another and there’s just some fun in there too. We played around in the studio and we came up with some things that we’re really excited for people to hear.

Q: What artists or bands are you inspired by?

A: With the three of us, there’s so much space in between what we grew up listening to, but the few things that just kind of found each other on these four songs specifically is like a lot of 90s alt-rock like Weezer and [Red Hot] Chili Peppers. Someone called it kind of like the Cars and the Police a little bit too, which is really cool. I hate to make it sound like only rock bands, but it’s definitely like a super rockin’ record. There’s also a little bit of psychedelic vibes going on. One of the songs is very rock and there’s a lot of funk in one song and just like a lot of moments to bob your head to.

Q: What is your songwriting process like?

A: I think it’s mixed sometimes. There are definitely times when we’ll approach each other with an unfinished song or like a piece of a song or just kind of an idea and everybody just kind of puts their flavor on it. There’s no, like, “this is our song, this is how we’re playing it,” and it’s always for the best because I think you kind of have like your approach doing it but if you’re with people who you trust in terms of their tastes and how they would react and give feedback when they tell you that something’s not that great… like I thought something was really cool and then it took me a minute and I was like “oh my god I can’t believe you almost let me put that on the record!” So I think we kind of safeguard each other and help each other embellish the songs in the best way possible.

Q: What is something that sets you apart from other bands?

A: I think we all have a lot of experience as musicians and as people. Like Henry and I have played together for almost eight years and then Jacob and I have played together for like 2 ½ in Jubilo, Wax Charmer, and also with Negative Gemini. And with Aaron Shadrow too sometimes, who also produced and played bass with us on this whole record too. I think one thing that sets us apart is our musical background and our talents. I think we really don’t settle. Even down to syllables in lyrics, tones in guitars, and how pieces of the music talk to each other. We really zoom in on everything and we really want it to sound great. And I think we’re very observant and we’ve been around musicians and music and the music industry for a really long time and maybe we’ve learned a few tricks about how to start a kick-ass rock band and we’re prepared. If I could say it in one sentence, we’ve been around a while and we’re prepared to do this. 

Bonus Q: If you could perform at one specific venue, anywhere in the whole world, where would you perform? A: To perform at Wax Charmer, I would love to play at the Hollywood Bowl. That’s where I saw my first concert. I saw the Rolling Stones there with my mom when I was eleven years old and I was just like “oh my god, I get this. I get why people are obsessed with music.” The second one is if I was to just play somewhere for the experience of it, it would be like Patagonia in the middle of the wilderness, like in a valley with open skyline and mountain ranges and birds and stuff and that would be a really cool experience to have. 

Be sure to check out Wax Charmer’s two singles, “Emblem” and “Downstairs” and don’t forget to stream Suburban Replay on February 21st! Also keep an eye out for exciting news coming soon from Wax Charmer!

Sam Exner

Augustana '23

Sam is a sophomore at Augustana College in Rock Island, IL. She is hoping to double major in pre-medicine and Spanish with plans to eventually be a surgeon.
Augustana Contributor