International Day of the Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

On October 11th, the world observed international day of the girl. This day was created by the United Nations in 2011 in an effort to empower girls and remind the world of their importance. This might seem like an obvious concept, that all humans are created equal, right? It’s one of those facts that seem to be so obvious that we don’t even think about them, like the sky being blue or the CSL only having good food on visit days (still not over it). But that is exactly why a day like this is so important. There are still many inequalities facing girls around the world that need to be addressed.

Nelson Mandela said “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world”. Educating girls gives them the power to grow up and change their lives and the lives of others around them. Investing in a girl’s education gives her the tools she needs to become a better mother, worker, and citizen. It can also help her become more involved in her nation’s government, from participating in elections to working in office, allowing her to influence decisions that are important to her.

Unfortunately, sixty two million girls are not in school around the world. Many factors, ranging from culture to poverty, go into why girls don’t receive even primary education. For example, many Asian countries and Arab states have traditions that result in girls staying at home as opposed to going to school. In places like Sub-Saharan Africa, poverty, violence, and the distance from home to school can make it hard for a girl to go.

Another worldwide issue relating to girls is child marriage and early pregnancy. Once a girl marries she is likely to drop out of school and this cycle can continue for generations. Additionally, the second highest cause of death among 15 to 19 year olds globally is complications to early pregnancy. However, a girl who receives seven years of education is actually more likely to marry later and have fewer, but healthier children. This goes to show the importance of schooling girls and how it can impact their futures. Fortunately, many organizations have recognized this and are doing something about it. The World Bank plans to invest 2.5 billion dollars over 5 years primarily in girl’s education. They have already invested millions of dollars in Lebanon, Pakistan, and Nigeria and have seen many positive effects. Furthermore, the agenda of The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals for 2030 is focusing on girls and inequality based on gender. Their initiatives include providing more healthcare information and services to girls and of course widening a girl’s opportunities through education.

All of these things are important on a large scale and investing in girls around the world will benefit everyone, but there are things we can do on a daily basis that can also make a difference.

As girls we need to stand up for each other, especially in the classroom. Too often girls feel the need to compete with each other, but it is totally unnecessary. We all go to school to learn and to grow, it’s a very personal thing. Yeah, sometimes grades are curved but that should be an incentive for you to work hard not roll your eyes at whoever brought it up.

One of the coolest things is watching someone get really excited about something they’re

interested in, whether it’s a book, a sport, or politics. You can really see them light up when they talk about it. Ignite that light. Don’t burn it out. We all have different interests and sometimes we just need that extra push from someone else to act on them.

And finally don’t take the opportunities you have for granted. As much fun as college can be, don’t forget why you’re here and how lucky you are to be getting an education. At Augie you have the opportunity to take a class that interests you, join a club you think sounds fun, and have your voice heard (even if it’s just through chalk). However you do decide to express yourself make sure to be proud of it. So much can be done if we work hard and empower each other, take advantage of our opportunities, and continue to raise awareness to girls who still don’t have that chance.

Caroline is a freshman at Augustana College where she will study Political Science and the art of procrastination. When she is not writing papers she is probably contemplating to work out which usually does not result in anything. She spends her nights scrolling through Netflix movies until she falls asleep and then wakes up and tests how late she can get up to be on time for her class. 
Augustana Contributor