Inexpensive Gifts Ideas: For Poor College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Christmas time can be so much fun, but it can become expensive very fast. Parents, siblings, Secret Santa, how can a poor college kid possibly afford it? There are some easy, inexpensive gifts that your friends and family will definitely enjoy.

1. Candles

Most candles can start up to $20 or more dollars, but at Target you can find nice candles starting at $3-$4. Every mom, aunt, sister, friend, etc. loves a nice candle for Christmas and this way you don’t have to break the bank to get them one. 

2. Original Artwork

If you are more of a crafty person and would like to save some money this holiday, canvas paintings are always a hit. Everyone in your family will appreciate a thoughtful handmade painting from you. You can also paint your friends’ favorite quotes or lyrics for them to hang in their rooms! 12” x 12” canvasses at Hobby Lobby start around $5, and paint sets start around $15. One paint set would be a great investment that would help create presents for the entire family!

3. Fuzzy Socks

Everyone loves some fuzzy socks. Target has them for $5 a pair, Kohls has them for $6 and Walmart has them for $3. I would get a few pairs for all my friends and myself! It is a cheap gift and also a great investment for the winter time. 

4. Memory Jar

In a memory jar you can put quotes, small memories, pictures, lyrics, etc. Anything that reminds you of the person that you are going to give to the person would go into a memory jar. It is perfect for a Secret Santa gift or a parent or grandparent. They are super meaningful and come from the heart. You can get a mason jar from Hobby Lobby for $4-$8 then tie a cute ribbon around the top and you are set!

Ana Warkocki

Augustana '21

I'm Ana, I am currently studying Psychology and Communication Studies at Augustana College. I enjoy writing, photography, and listening to Indie music.
Augustana Contributor