photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
Life > Experiences

How to Cope With Being Apart From Your Graduated Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

Most of the dearest friends I made at Augustana are at least one year ahead of me. As the end of each school year approached, I felt proud for them for completing a significant chapter in their life. Yet I struggled with the fact that they wouldn’t be in mine as much as they have been. Being a senior now, it’s still hard for me to come to terms with not being able to experience my final year at Augie with the people I considered to be my close friends. I’m unsure if I’ll ever fully move past that, but overtime I learned to cope with my loneliness. Even though my closest friends graduated before me, I can still enjoy the rest of the time I have here at Augie.

1. Communication

Obviously, keep in touch with your graduated friends. Get in the habit of messaging them almost every day. Ask them to update you on their lives and update them on yours. Schedule some time to talk on the phone or through video chat. Check in on their social media. Send them snapchats or pictures, anything to keep communication going. Even a text saying you’re thinking about them is more than enough.

1. Invest More Time in Extra-Curriculars

Whether you’re already part of an on-campus group or not, being involved at Augie is a good way to build a network of friends. It also allows you to develop more interests or focus on the ones you already have. Take advantage of whatever opportunity comes your way. If you join a new group, take the time and effort to know your fellow members. And if you’re already in a group or two, flourish your relationships with current members. Just because your best friends graduated doesn’t mean you can’t make new ones.

1. Practice Self-Care

For some people, it can be emotionally draining to be apart from loved ones. Sometimes, you forget about your own well-being and allow yourself to be distracted by the pain of not being able to see your friends. Remind yourself to get the care you need: eating three meals a day, drinking lots of water, sleeping at least eight hours a night, showering, exercising, etc. Your health is important.